Boiler Boffins

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i have a query. its been bugging me since we bought our flat 3 years ago.
it was fitted with a Radiant RSF24 combi boiler (wall mounted).
it works fine, however, the timer doesnt.
its one of those mechanical timers which has an Off / Auto / On switch above it.

Off = boiler cannot be activated by thermostat switch in the hall way
auto = turns on and off as per timer settings
on = boiler can be activated by thermostat in hallway and stays on until temperature is reached.

my bug is with the 'auto' setting.

i can select the time, however, the timer doesnt move at all - unless i move it to the set time. for example:

if its 9am and the timer is set to come on for 10am till 12noon, it wont move so the heating will never come on.

but if i move the timer so it hits 10am - it'll come on and the timer will move through the set time and stop once it gets to 12 noon time.

basically this means i cannot set the timer at all - so cant have the heating come on an hour before i wake up, or before i get home etc....

i've no idea what the issue could be....??? any help out there?

Get a digital 7 day timer, instead of a 24hr clockwork one. That will give you the flexibility to have different times set for the weekend.

Also, get a remote control/wireless one, that talks to the control on the boiler without needing a wire, and place it in the most convenient spot

G

The motor in the timer has failed. As said, a new timer is around £30 from Screwfix. It'll save you that in gas...

the timer is built in, but is removable/replaceable.
we did replace the timer with another (my dad had a spare) and this seemed to make no difference - could have been another faulty one though.
a brand new one might be worth trying.
why would the timer work during the 'on time' but then stop and not move forward to the next 'on time'???

The timer is may not be faulty if both timers failed to turn. Check you've connected the motor properly as iirc some integrate have 5 connections instead of 4 and you could have mis wired it. Then again it is an Italian boiler so who knows. Built ins can be up to £100 so for not a lot more as mentioned you could fit a programmable Drayton digitstat. Or even the next gen remote heating system that connects through your laptop/smartphone.

Get saving as well as the radiant bruchiatorre range are not that well supported here.

gavinda":1td66o9m said:
The timer is may not be faulty if both timers failed to turn. Check you've connected the motor properly as iirc some integrate have 5 connections instead of 4 and you could have mis wired it. Then again it is an Italian boiler so who knows. Built ins can be up to £100 so for not a lot more as mentioned you could fit a programmable Drayton digitstat. Or even the next gen remote heating system that connects through your laptop/smartphone.

Get saving as well as the radiant bruchiatorre range are not that well supported here.

i've had to have some parts replaced on the boiler already (temperature sensor/pressure sensor switch or something like that) there is a support centre in Portsdean. but yeah, its an oldie alright! dont hold much hope for its future, but hopefully it'll last until we move out! :p

gavinda":hc966gwb said:
Built ins can be up to £100 so for not a lot more as mentioned you could fit a programmable Drayton digitstat.

I put one of these in when our old wall-mounted thermostat failed last year. Being wireless means you can choose whichever room you want to monitor. We keep ours in the kids' room. Really easy swap with the old one. Wall unit goes where the old thermostat was so no requiring required. Seven days programming means it replaces the cranky timer on the boiler altogether. We have a solid fuel stove in the room with the original thermostat, which was really confusing matters.

I think it cost a hundred quid and took about fifteen minutes to install, most of which was spent looking for the right screwdriver.

Back