Winter gloves, whats good?

Silk glove liners are good if you have gloves you like but are not warm enough. Silk is a great insulator and very thin so you don't lose much dexterity. Not to expensive either.

I use fingerless gloves for some of my winter riding (i have unusually warm hands).
but when its just plain silly cold, i have some Altura windproof gloves.
they are pretty crap to be honest. so maybe take this as one to avoid.
my hands sweat in them, but lose heat quickly. thay arent actually very windproof and when they get wet (either through rain or sweat, they absolutely stink.
never wasted £25 quite like this.
f**king appaling.

i did have some Altura gloves long ago (think they were waterproof or something) had a neoprene outer with good padding and still provided lots of dexterity.
never found them again - they seemed to have replaced them with absolute shyte that stink.

there is not going to be one reply to this - everyone will have their favourite

for cold temps, measured by there not being frost or ice about, I use Thinsulate gloves, the sort you get from the market for a fiver or less.

If you can, try them on coz if lke me, you have long fingers, then the glove will not extend into the hollow between thumb and index fnger, that is not a problem uness you are cycling as the handle bar presses into that palce so the gloves will eventualy tear.

For colder temps, I have 2 pairs: berghaus and some other make - these have a thick outer one has a pair of removable fleece gloves inside. It can get quite warm in there meaning that your hand can sweat (remember you can only be cold but dry or hot and sweaty) so when removing the gloves, the inner can come loose and then can be quite difficult to push the fingers back into place. Look to pay upwards of £ 20 for this type. they are thick so it feel a bit awakward handling onto the bars.

02gf74":2blwdtyn said:
there is not going to be one reply to this - everyone will have their favourite

This.

Gloves are just one of those things you have to make educated guesses with and find out what works for you.

Plenty of gloves that I find warm enough, others will find are not. And as pointed out earlier - keeping your body at the right temperature will also affect how warm your extremities are.

If you are out more than a couple of hours and it's really cold - it's also a good idea to keep another pair of gloves near a warm part of your body to change into when your first pair has started to be cold. This was a trick I learned as a bike messenger in one of the coldest winters Denmark has had since I moved here.

Favourite gloves at the moment are Northwave Husky gloves with a foldable mitten part. For if it's really cold.
http://www.northwave.com/it/product/-hu ... ter_gloves

Try a load on, GF and I both went to shop and both ended up buying Seal Skinz, they were not the thickest but fitted best.

Warming 'bits' depends on who you are really, my skinny long pinkies do get cold, and occasionally 'dead mans fingers' if the bloods not pumping, (usually in the car!). Great tips in this thread though :cool:

Back