Marin Riftzone with Juicy 5 turkey gobblers

Purple Helmet

Retro Guru
Hi

I have a 2005 Marin Riftzone with Avid Juicy 5s. They have always been noisy/unreliable/b^tch to maintain. I noticed that chainreactioncycles have got some mega deals on disc brakes at the moment so I am pondering an upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions as to what get? I was looking at the LX dual control M585s as the mechanic in the LBS suggested the best thing for Avid brakes is the bin!

Thanks for any suggestions!
:cool:

I might have a set of minty XTR M960 Dual Control Discs/Levers/Shifters for sale soon if that floats your boat?

Bled and ready to go :) I'd be after about £145 posted for the whole lot (remember that shifters are also included as they're part of the dual control!).

You wn't go far wrong with Formula, Magura or Shimano, you can get Formula k24s for a good price on the bay from time to time, I have a set they work very well as do the Marta bakes from Magura but set up can be a bit fiddly, the ones that get the most abuse are my older type Shimano Saints, never missed a beat, very progressive and excellent modulation. Stay well away from the Stroker Trail & Ryde brayes from Hayes, useless for anything other than gentle stuff.
Not a fan of dual levers personally.
Rose Bikes have some good bits and bobs on offer at the mo, the lower spec Shimano stuff is very good value and just as capable as the higher end stuff.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bike-parts/brakes/

I'd steer clear of the dual control set up too....not my cup of tea.

Formula brakes get great reviews but parts are horrifically expensive when they break. I like the new Shimano brakes, ugly as sin but get great reviews are cheap, downside is they don't do spares like all of the other companies. I had some of the original Saint brakes which were great apart from the fact they didn't like the cold - if the temperatures got low enough, the pistons would stick.

Unlike a lot of people, I really like Hayes brakes. My Stroker Ace's are great and all of my previous sets were. Properly fit and forget.

These are impossible to beat for VFM:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k495/a ... ml?mfid=43

£66 for a pair of the latest Deore hydraulics. I have a set and they are almost exactly the same as XTs - just without the adjustable lever and finned pads. They feel identical in use. Compare the pictures of these and XTs!

You will need to add discs and ISO/post mount adapters from discobrakes to suit your frame/fork and chosen disc size (get some spare pads while you are there).

I went for 180mm front an 160mm rear. As they come from the continent you need to swap the hoses over (you will have to shorten them anyway so no big problem).

I like my M960 dual control. Not running them Rapid rise and they feel intuitive. Good power and modulation too.

I have the Avid juicy carbons on my bike 203mm rotors with Ashima SOS pads and wow they work great!

It seems to be a hit and miss with Avids brakes

Back