location / route tracking on old phone

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
All,

I have an ancient Sony Ericsson W810i I'd like to track my ride routes in the same way as you folk with modern phones do, is this possible? Googling reveals loads of dodgy app sites which I'm a bit reluctant to delve into. I installed Google Maps and allowed 'access to user data' on the install, but in the application it says user location is not supported. Is this the phone's limitation?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Ideally to track you a phone needs a GPS chip. I dont think your phone has one, it is not listed as having one so it may be 'upgrade' time.

Splatter Paint":dqsomlr4 said:
I'm reluctant to upgrade as I like the old phone. :(

Thanks for the help.

SP

Sony C903 has GPS and is pretty good for an old style phone

2-11-09-se_c903_live.jpg

I used to have a K800i and use one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GlobalSat...2?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2a261194a2

Bluetooth connection to the phone and set your phone application to that.

If it goes cheap then that's about the only way with an old phone, otherwise an phone upgrade would have to do it. It's just so much easier now with app stores etc.

Though I did have TomTom running on my old Sony.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
To be able to track a ride you need to be able to download and install an app (like Endomundo or Strava) and for that you need either the Symbian, iOS, Android or Windows OS. A feature phone with a propriety OS will not work even if it has GPS hardware built in, unless the maker has written one themselves, but this is highly unlikely with the big shift to iOS and Android.
Unfortunately it looks like you will have to upgrade if you want these features.
However it wont cost the earth, something like this http://www.trustedreviews.com/huawei-ascend-g300_Mobile-Phone_review is less than £100 on PAYG and will happily run route tracking software.

Carl.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
stewlewis":3gvwyxaj said:

You've shown a link for sport tracker for Symbian and two PDA's that are running Windows mobile or CE, which clearly aren't compatible.

Like I said you need a device running Symbian, Windows, iOS or Android.

If you can find someone who has written a sport tracker app for CE or WinMo you might as well by an old HTC Titan or such like as they are less than £50 and have built in GPS, then there is something like the Nokia 5800 that's also less than £50 and that will work with the sport tracker app you posted.

I had a WinMo device (An Orange SPV C550, followed by an E650) and SIRFstar bluetooth GPS running Tomtom back in 2005. I had to hack tomtom onto the device because of dodgy comport and screen configs of the SPV's, but the OP wanted a sport tracker and I would suspect that unless the old version of Endomundo works with those old versions of CE it wont work.

This Nokia 5800 is only £36.50 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nokia-Xpr...lso probably that sport tracker too. Carl.

Back