Colnago – because they are worth it?

Jesus I was just going to reply ''This will be an interesting thread but it will get full of Colnago pictures'' But someone has beaten me to it :roll:

There seems to be a high premium on the name and there are an awful lot of them for sale.

But I couldn't comment on how they ride as I don't have one.

Eddy Merckx did the hour on a Colnago (I think) so they can't be that bad...Can they?

Edited, sorry. Mile /Hour Hour/Mile

Some interesting perspectives and definitely agree with the below as so much about cycling is about emotion and pride of ownership definitely has a part to play (and will vary from person to person).

Rich34":27031cpj said:
There is no doubt that it's one of the most magical and evocative names in cycling though.

I'm less convinced by the 'Colnagos are suitable for beginner collectors' though! Collectors or not, we'd all like to think that we have the best bikes/taste so I'm particularly intrigued by the views that other brands are 'better', particularly in light of jonnyboy666's comments - any more detail on what makes them superior? Could you absolutely tell the difference in a blind test? I've been fortunate to own quite a few nice bikes and, to a point, if they fit then there isn't to my mind much to choose between them apart from the aforementioned pride of ownership (although granted I'm probably too unsophisticated to tell the difference!).

i think it's harder to tell the difference (blindfolded comment) between road bikes than mountain bikes, mainly i think because if they are set up correctly all road bikes will have a very similar position for you where as mountain bikes can be different positioning wise because geometry changes more on them depending on the designers choices where as road geometry is more set in stone.

i think colnago used to be one of the benchmarks of quality and design but somewhere along the way they got overtaken by other builders (not just custom builders) and since have played catch up while still trading on their name etc.

but regarding my lug comment, my attitude is not that lugs are a bad design, quite the opposite i like lugs but using lugs all the way through means frames can be produced quickly to a good standard which suits a production line and i think that is the crux of it, production line, mass production, stack 'em high and flog them!

takes the edge off doesn't it.

Back