Too much fettling

bj

Retro Guru
All in a tiz now.

Changed my 44-32-22 chainset to 42-32-22 because a nice new 42t middleburn ringset came up cheaply. It also meant that my short cage rear mech could now accommodate a 11-34 tooth cassette rather than the 11-32.

So I dropped the front mech to account for the smaller chainring and all has been well, but.... I happened to look at the installation leaflet for my XT front mech. It stated that the min tooth difference between big and middle ring was 12 teeth. My set up now has a min of only 10 teeth (but appears to work fine). So, out of interest, I had a look to see what front mechs were suitable.

Now I thought that 42-32-22 was a relatively common choice - but it appears not. Having looked through the shimano docs website I have found reference to only one lower spec front mech (still available but essentially discontinued) that accommodates a 42-32-22 chainset.

I'm sticking with the XT for the time being, at least until I am persuaded otherwise. Anyone had problems with a 42-32-22 set up?

Too much fettling again - just don't learn my lesson.

Rob

I have with 48/38/28 on hybrid bikes, Truvativ chainsets are the culprit on mine, as stock they are usually spec'd with a lower end front mech, Nexave type.

10/10/10 differences are trouble, I had an XT F mech working but set up was very picky and had to be setup bang on to allow smooth shifting to either big or small ring, it didn't take much (cable stretch etc) to go out of whack.

I think lower end F mechs are more forgiving, Nexave seem to be a fave on hybrid bikes.

42-32-24 on an XT FD-M770 front mech, and that's shifting just fine. Bit of chainsuck, but that's due to a crappy crankset (M5xx something Deore).

Well as luck would have it, CRC are selling off the LX M570 at £9 with discount. As far as I can see it is the only, currently available, front mech designed to correctly accommodate a 9 speed 42-32-22 chainset.

For the sake of £9 I have ordered one to see what difference it makes.

More fettling. What'll be next? :)

Latest posts

Back