Problem with bar end shifters

velomaniac":2f66ekm5 said:
Bar ends cables always exit the bar tape as per lower picture in my experience from the world of touring bikes. Never seen them remain under the cork tape all the way to the top. The more corners you need to curve around the greater the static friction.

Bar end levers were very popular with pro road riders (and me!) in the 50's and 60's and on the majority of bikes the cables were taped to the top. Lots of photos showing this in old magazines - and in my avatar! My experience with them is that you need the flexible type of braided inners with plenty of lube inside the outer cable and they should then work fine. Modern inner cables seem 'stiffer' - possibly because of indexing needs? - whereas the older Campagnolo ones were definitely more flexible.

Attachments

• WCTTCA12hrAug1st1965.2.A.jpg
    WCTTCA12hrAug1st1965.2.A.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 480
Thanks for sharing that Ned, thats essential info for my 50's build that may see the light of day one day!

Are you aware someone wrote GiT on your shorts!?

Tel":1wouxc3p said:
Thanks for sharing that Ned, thats essential info for my 50's build that may see the light of day one day!

Are you aware someone wrote GiT on your shorts!?

Yep, it's a pair of 'Gitane' shorts bought from Shay Elliot in the Isle of Man in 1965 shortened to GiT as advertising wasn't allowed to be worn in races - and it's also a shortening of my name. Pity the word has other connotations................ :roll:

Back