Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

drystonepaul":5agjqrw3 said:
ibbz":5agjqrw3 said:
Quick question, what size of bottom bracket would I need for the MT4?
68mm shell width but the BB spindle length will be determined by the crankset you are fitting.
Looks like you have XT M730 or Deore MT-60 cranks in your pictures, in which case you'll need one with a 122mm spindle.

I can recommend the Shimano UN55 BB.

122 or 122.5 ?

I was teaching at a school in Enfield recently and saw this in the bike rack.

I love the name,
A8252840-B8A5-4956-97FD-B283D106475C-2031-000002CB09BF6B22.jpg

and couldn't believe the mint condition.
CC5F7B03-5E9E-4D80-9758-EB8233924B81-2031-000002CB125DE870.jpg

It was like it had fallen out of a Tardis!
E780462F-1D79-4A60-81E9-32E35B763D95-2031-000002CB1AF4BD10.jpg

I've just rejoined the dyna-tech club after buying a frame off here that arrived today. I have to say its a stunner. I'd like to identify it (I will post pics when I get a chance). It's a full titanium welded frame with the imi decal on the seat tube, dyna-tech decal on the down tube in black, with racing in extremely small yellow font underneath, and the remains of the word titanium in the same small font on the top tube. It's a Matt rather than polished finish, with wishbone stays. Any ideas as to model? Looks like the one on page 1 or 2 of this thread.

I was planning to do a bit of a Brit build, with pace rigid forks, middleburn cranks and possibly a kolo all in one bar/stem combo, a smattering of green anno and then xtr m952. I am also contemplating magura race lines and yellow spoked spinergy xyclones. Any thoughts on these options or should I simply stick with m952 all round? Black carbon nuke proof hubs and bar ends might also look great but I've some green control tech bars and bar ends I've been itching to use. Hmmmm

ishaw":21v1sgh8 said:
I've just rejoined the dyna-tech club after buying a frame off here that arrived today. I have to say its a stunner. I'd like to identify it (I will post pics when I get a chance). It's a full titanium welded frame with the imi decal on the seat tube, dyna-tech decal on the down tube in black, with racing in extremely small yellow font underneath, and the remains of the word titanium in the same small font on the top tube. It's a Matt rather than polished finish, with wishbone stays. Any ideas as to model? Looks like the one on page 1 or 2 of this thread.

I was planning to do a bit of a Brit build, with pace rigid forks, middleburn cranks and possibly a kolo all in one bar/stem combo, a smattering of green anno and then xtr m952. I am also contemplating magura race lines and yellow spoked spinergy xyclones. Any thoughts on these options or should I simply stick with m952 all round? Black carbon nuke proof hubs and bar ends might also look great but I've some green control tech bars and bar ends I've been itching to use. Hmmmm

I'm jealous!
I want one of those frames, give it to me please!

On a serious note, congrats, gorgeous frame, I wish I could help you with the build, but I'm clueless and scratching around for advice myself.

I'm also on the lookout for a RSP 450 - the Reynolds 853 framed hardtail - anyone??

ishaw":3bhutgb8 said:

Torus.

Here are the pics from the sale thread. It may well be a Taurus as it was listed as one, but I thought the Taurus frames were labelled/badged as such. Is it also a 92? Just curious as it may influence the build.

rb05ya.jpg

2af6m9.jpg
[/quote]

It's a Torus.
The early ones had Torus written on the downtube. Later ones had Raleigh on the downtube and Titanium on the top tube. Yours I think is 96-97'ish as it still has the canti cable stop but has the later decals and dropouts. Early dropouts didn't have the hole in the middle.
I think this version is the one that was used as the X-Lite bike.

You can find out the year from the letter in the serial number. I can never remember how to do it, but I think it's in the first few pages of this thread.
Looks like a large size.
Front mech is 34.9 and seatpost should be 30mm (they were shimmed from the factory). There are also a few which have the BB threaded back to front which was probably just the aluminium BB thread inserts being inserted incorrectly.

Ok, trawled through the entire thread and found the following on serials:

A: 1991
B: 1992
C:1993

And so on

Though I saw another post that had a T serial that was 1997/8

Anyone know definitively how these serials work?

ishaw":3mah22lb said:
Ok, trawled through the entire thread and found the following on serials:

A: 1991
B: 1992
C:1993

And so on

Actually....
A= 1990
B= 1991
C= 1992 etc

As your Torus has rear canti stop it'll be 1995 / 1996

Back