Marin Bear Valley - newbie project

Firestarter05

Retro Newbie
Hi, I'm new round ere! I'm after some expert advice/opinion on my recent purchase of a Marin bear valley which I suspect is a 1992 version. From what I have researched on line, the fork may be an RST.

My plan is to use the basics of the bike but to update/upgrade in some areas to use it as a fun winter commuter. Thought I'd upload some "before" photos to give you an idea of where its at, before I get started.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 477
  • image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 477
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 477
  • image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 477
  • image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 477
Love the fact its got disc brake capable forks converted to canti brakes. This new fangled disc nonsense will never catch on, tried and tested canti's are whats needed. :LOL:

Should build up nice ;)

Any suggestions on a fork? I don't necessarily need a suspension fork so straight or classic? There is a marin rockstar on eBay at the mo for £25, is that reasonable?

rockstar forks...

for my 2p, go rigid, looks more natural on most '92 models. being 1.1/8" they are easily obtained. the black marin stem on the 'bay is just about worth the money and correct for your bike

i've got 2 pairs available(threaded) for postage cost+ bag of peanut m+m's ;) measure up what steerer length you think you'll need and post back or ask in our wanted section and i'll look out for the post.

just a few subtle changes and you're on to a decent bear valley.

Back