1997 GT Zaskar modern makeover FINISHED FINALLY

Maybe not just yet, my hands look disgusting.
Interesting little side line though. Hand polishing Al frames for folks. Bit of pocket money to be had there possibly :D

Little update as finally got my arse in gear and put new decals on!
Kindly made up by Gil who patiently matched the blue for me after several attempts of me being a fussy git.

And I do realise it's wrong stickers for year of frame. I like these ones, but prefer later frame!

Attachments

• IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 913
polished GT's do look good! got a modern GT frame that would look good with that treatment. maybe when the rain stops...........

Build going a bit slower than I intended as other stuff keeps getting in the way. But a few more pics for you all.
Forks have been airbrushed with black satin enamel as they were quite chipped. Serviced by Tim also and a new set of one off blue highlight stickers applied.
Also decided to paint up my QR in black stove enamel as they were scratched to hell and looked shite. I likes :cool:

May change the stem also, not convinced it works on this frame.

Got kinda stuck now though as looking for a mint left hand shifter still, missing one or two other minor items and lost my cable guide so waiting for new one to arrive. But you will get the idea of what's going on.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 722
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 722
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 723
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 723
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 723
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 722
That looks stunning !

I love how you have not gone made with colours I was thinking of red on mine but I like the subtle look , how did you find the 1200 wet and dry to use ? What polish was it uou use as it reads you did use autosol but was told not too ?

I have Belgum Alu here ready for when I rub it down , what's the technique with the wire wool ?

Thanks

Ant

Thanks for the comments! Yes I think it's best to go subtle with the colours as over powering in blue or red etc can spoil the effect.
1200 paper was fine to use, just rubbed all over then polish ontop. I used Peek as it leaves no residue and is half the price of Autosol, which is a good polish, but after using Peek, it wins 2nd place in my opinion. Autosol is better for steels and hard materials as its more aggressive polish.
With the wire wool I just used it on the weld areas to clean out stubborn grime and oxidation. I have not done anything fancy at all really. Just a bit of elbow grease.

Back