Were you put off a subject by an uninspiring teacher?

I loved PE and I really tried but I was not a footballer, rugby player or basketball player of any note so I was dismissed and told I was not trying :x

Also liked RE but at my school comparative religion was always taught by a overt christian and thus it wasn't much of an informed balanced debate.
What was the point.

I hate the jokey expression 'if you cant do, teach !'. If you cant teach in an engaging way that ispires those you teach then dont do !!!!

I teach engineering......my lessons on torsional forces involve analysis of forces in cycle frames and include excerpts from the Columbus tubing catalogue. Well, it inspires me!!

Maths. I left primary school able to multiply fractions along with other stuff that only the top table could do. I then met a teacher who would have made (and indeed went on to make) a fine university lecturer. He wasn't a first year teacher though and I went from top of the class down to having to fib my way into university.

I will be making sure the same doesn't happen to my son who is doing maths 3 years ahead of his age. It scares me that I might not be able to help him with his homework for much longer! This would be bad as he has to answer stuff that he hasn't been taught yet.

markyp":33ao23vw said:
I teach engineering......my lessons on torsional forces involve analysis of forces in cycle frames and include excerpts from the Columbus tubing catalogue. Well, it inspires me!!

That sounds f@@king awesome! Is it on Smartboard?

Another one for french Im afraid :LOL:
From 81 - 83 I had a teacher called Peter Martin, he was as interested in french as I was. We would often go into his lesson, he would say.. "today we are going to do some french - everybody say "WE" - (to which we would all respond) & that was the end of the educational bit, the rest of the lesson would be about his camera, hi-fi or proving how wrong to bible is, due to loads of dates that dont tally up :shock:

Oddly enough, I left school without any french certificates....

i can honestly say i didnt learn anything worthwhile in school.
to wrapped up with my parents divorcing, totally screwed my head up.
teachers just judged me for my outward appearance and lack of concentration.
i learnt more when i started work than i did in the whole of school.

fraid not.....we calculated how much stiffer a tube with a bigger diameter and thinner wall would be when compared to a 'smaller' tube of the same amount of material per metre....

Retro Cat":1wqxhlmg said:
markyp":1wqxhlmg said:

That sounds f@@king awesome! Is it on Smartboard?

Latest posts

Back