Modernising 'old' frame..

I'm (slightly) modernising my parkpre at the moment, and decided to stick with a V on the rear. if it was a steel frame and I had a decent builder close to me, then I would probably have gone with a disc, but are they really needed? Most of the braking is on the front anyway, and I have never lacked braking on the rear with a V.... The only 'problem' I have is that I'm limiting myself to a BB7 mechanical disc on the front, to keep the feel of both brake levers more or less the same.

foz":fu95v9xu said:
I'm (slightly) modernising my parkpre at the moment, and decided to stick with a V on the rear. if it was a steel frame and I had a decent builder close to me, then I would probably have gone with a disc, but are they really needed? Most of the braking is on the front anyway, and I have never lacked braking on the rear with a V.... The only 'problem' I have is that I'm limiting myself to a BB7 mechanical disc on the front, to keep the feel of both brake levers more or less the same.

Wouldn't say it is needed either way, but discs are a great "fit and forget" part and the mud clogging/wheel buckle issues disappearing are a massive plus for me.

Do it! Unless the frame is some rare exotica it can only improve it IMO.
My old steel kona 21st century-proofed:
C6AFE8DF-2B5D-4DA8-AA06-D20AE7BE5F86-4351-00000704C5E1BDAD.jpg

Even if the frame was some rare example, adding disc brakes can only make it more rideable... do it.

I'm with everyone else, definite thumbs up from me...can only make you like it more and if you are respraying anyway then get a disc tab added and when it is powdercoated it will look like it should be there.

Looking forward to some pics ;)

The decent adaptors, especially for those specialized, go for the same price as getting a tab welded on.

Get some pics up if you get it done, I like looking at these mods.

Well, quite a positive response then!! ;)
Yeah, it's not exactly an 'exotic' bike, so it makes sense to make it more usable..
The thing it with Canti/V rims is that I'm so used to discs now, and all my other bikes have discs (bar one which is running Maguras :p) that it makes sense in terms of a ready supply of easily-swappable spares too!

I also managed to pick up a pair of Hope Mono Minis for 70 quid, which with braided hoses look ace! I also have those natty little Magura hose clips too, so no need to convert the cable routing..
Likewise, I will leave the canti mounts on, as yes they may add a little weight, but I like the option that I can then mount V's or Maguras to it at some point if I wish..
I'm putting my 2001 SID's on it - which also have v/canti bosses, so it makes sense to keep them on the frame too.

At the moment, the frame is in the queue to be sprayed up, just need to drop the decals down (mildly customised replacements done by the ubiquitous Gil_M ;)) and have the tab welded up!

Parts are hard to come by though.. I never would have thought that Green would be such a hard colour to get decent parts in, never mind colour-matching!!...
We're definitely not in the 90's anymore..! ;)

There WILL be a build thread, possibly this very one when I get some pics eventually..
Parts are accumulating, still in need of SRAM shifters, gear outer cabling (thinking I-Link, anyone got any experiences with this, can you run it 'continuous' and just have the link breaks at the cable-guide points?), Saddle, front mech & brake rotors.
I may have the stem stripped & sprayed to match the frame too..Because Hope Team gear is ridiculously expensive! :p

Back