Wookiee's 2008 Marin Rift Zone...triggers broom!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My love for Marin's first began back in 1991 when after months of saving my Saturday job money (at Beaties toy/model shop for those who remember!) I picked up a Marin Muirwoods. I loved that bike and it was the first "proper" mountain bike I had owned. The Raleigh Mustang I had before it felt "Fisher Price" in comparison! So anyway since the Muirwoods I've owned a 93 Eldridge, 95 Rocky Ridge, 97 Marin Quake (my first full sus) and currently own a 91 Team Marin and this 2008 Marin Rift Zone. The Rift Zone is a bit of a "Triggers Broom" (UK reference!), in that there is little that remains from the original bike! Basically the only original bits are the frame and forks...bars and stem! Everything else has been upgraded a mix of mainly XTR and a spattering of XT in the drive train and brakes. Wheels are XT on Mavic XC717s, Charge spoon saddle, Panaracer Cinder 2.25's. Throw in some Carbon Marin barends some NC17 pedals and thats about where it stands today. The last picture shows the bike as I bought it...

Cheers

Wook

Attachments

• retro.jpg
    retro.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 1,901
  • 2008 Marin Rift Zone 8.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone 8.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,901
  • 2008 Marin Rift Zone 7.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone 7.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,901
  • 2008 Marin Rift Zone 6.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone 6.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,901
  • 2008 Marin Rift Zone 5.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone 5.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,901
  • 2008 Marin Rift Zone 4.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone 4.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,901
  • 2008 Marin Rift Zone 3.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone 3.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,901
  • 2008 Marin Rift Zone 2.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone 2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 1,901
couple more pics...

Attachments

• 2008 Marin Rift Zone.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 1,897
  • 2008 Marin Rift Zone 9.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone 9.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,890
Funnily enough, I left one of those frames out the front of my house for the scrap man to collect just last week!

I bought it cheap off someone local who was going to throw the whole bike away (more money than sense) - he'd managed to put a huge crack in the top tube, all the way around with the exception of about 4-5mm, right up by the headtube weld :shock:

I stripped it and managed to make a few quid after selling all the bits :)

If you need spare linkage plates or pins, just let me know because I've still got them in my shed. The frame is long gone though!

Ahh dreaded cracks! After the untimely end to my alpine stars almega due to a cracked frame, I check regularly for cracks on all my frames especially as I'm around the 16 stone mark! Cheers for the offer if I ever need an linkage bits ill be in touch. But just had the bearings replaced and its running perfectly at the mo! Long may that continue!...hopefully!

nice, sounds like you started off in mountain biking the same way as i did.

came of of a bmx background to start with a raleigh mustang.(the pinky coloured one). after saving from my first low paid job i had a 1991 palisades, before moving up to an eldridge in 92.

great bikes back in the day :D

dkdaz":2kxo7qqs said:
nice, sounds like you started off in mountain biking the same way as i did.

came of of a bmx background to start with a raleigh mustang.(the pinky coloured one). after saving from my first low paid job i had a 1991 palisades, before moving up to an eldridge in 92.

great bikes back in the day :D

...ah and yes I too came from BMX an ammaco freestyler with black skyways! In fact I had bmx's until about 5 years ago when in my mid 30's and 6ft4 until my wife said I really did look silly riding them!

For those interested the bike cost me £700 about 18 months ago but probably spent another £500 to get it to the current spec...still not bad I think. This really is my "go anywhere" bike I love the feel of it! In a bizarre way it reminds me of snowboarding in powder/surfing/skateboarding! Additional loves of mine and my wallet, but thats another story!

Wook

Lovely bike Wook ;)
Marin will always be my favourite manufacturer,my first eva mountain bike was a 1991 Eldridge Grade my parents got me for xmas 1991 ,i was 17 ,my parents didnt know much about bikes,just the guy in the shop told them Marin was the rolls royce of mountain bikes ,sales ploy or not but i never really had/liked anything else since :)

Back