Vario SX DH Bike

heavyp

Retro Guru
If I lived in the UK and didnt have 3 other projects going id consider this, quite rare I remeber them from back in the day but this is the first one ives seen on ebay, I used to want the B1/Vario bike back in the day when Bas De Bever was riding for them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vario-SX-Retr ... 43b5fd4520

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Woah, You're not wrong there! I haven't seen one of them since the late 90's!. What a blast from the past! Anybody here own(ed) one?

cyfa2809":1pgr6z4p said:
Why do i recognise the name Vario?

Ive been holding on to this image as its from 1997 I prefer and only really look at the 1998 to now forum and i didnt know where to put it, My dad found it it the loft with a few other originals and sent them to me, this graced my wall for years the bikes and bas de bever were my favourites when i first got into the dh scene.

main.php

Hey dude, the bike for sale on ebay is actually mine.
If you have any questions, please just post here or text the phone number on the ebay add.

Cheers

By the way, thanks HeavyP for the image there.
To be honest I wasn't 100% sure that mine was a 1998/9 model (simply cos I've had it so long), but now I'm pretty sure my guess was correct

To give you a bit extra history on my bike, I originally bought it from the Vario factory in Grenoble in 2000 as an old stock discount.
If I remember right, I bought the frame, fork, cranks and wheels from the factory and then the remaining bits from a local bike shop.
I remember almost wetting myself in the shop waiting for the mechanic to bolt it all together!

A friend of mine lived in Grenoble at the time and took me there.
I went riding on it during the same holiday and it still lives in my memory as one of the best holidays ever, mostly cos it was the first full suspension bike I'd ridden and to ride it in the Alps literally was a dream come true (sorry, getting corny now, but its true).

I rode it in the Alps each year intil 2004.
In fact in 2004 I rode it down the Les Gets world champs track a few days before the event. Bas de Baver was there practicing (with a hilarious and massive beard). I had a brief chat with him and he told me about the developments he made to the bike (although I can't actually remember what) in the telecabin queue.
Although he rode for B1, they were made in the Vario factory

I bought a Yeti DH9 after that, just cos I wanted something new and basically the Vario has sat in various cellars ever since.
I did ride it once about 2 years ago and honestly couldn't believe just how un-dated it felt.
Yeah, the geometry is kind of odd compared to modern bikes, but the frame is stiff and the suspension is progressive and plush - and works.

It just never sees light of day really though, so I've just decided to sell it

cyfa2809":6ab2qdwe said:
Shame your selling.
Do vario make shocks?

Not that I'm aware.
The rear shock on my Vario is a Fox Vanilla RC.
Quite why the spring is yellow I really don't recall :)

Back