Were you put off a subject by an uninspiring teacher?

Funny how French keeps coming up....

Even though our French curriculum was boring - I was lucky enough to have TILFs and even maintained interest to such an extent that the first foreign female I got a crush on was a girl I met on a beach in La Rochelle - who had no top on at the time - when I was 14. I decided there and then that Barnsley lasses weren't for me and that I should work on my language skills.

Met a Danish woman while following a Mission/Wonder Stuff European tour when I was living a very enjoyable "single" life on my French degree year abroad in Cherbourg... My life was otherwise going pretty much according to plan up to that point :oops:

But French is sadly underrated by most of you here... I just made £1200 translating a whisky website from French to English. So more fool you!

Biology - the teacher was an arsehole. We had a mutial dislike of each other so I skipped every lesson and went to the music room instead. Much more fun. Got an F in Biology and A in music.

dbmtb":vvkmcvsa said:
Funny how French keeps coming up....

Even though our French curriculum was boring - I was lucky enough to have TILFs and even maintained interest to such an extent that the first foreign female I got a crush on was a girl I met on a beach in La Rochelle - who had no top on at the time - when I was 14. I decided there and then that Barnsley lasses weren't for me and that I should work on my language skills.

Met a Danish woman while following a Mission/Wonder Stuff European tour when I was living a very enjoyable "single" life on my French degree year abroad in Cherbourg... My life was otherwise going pretty much according to plan up to that point :oops:

But French is sadly underrated by most of you here... I just made £1200 translating a whisky website from French to English. So more fool you!

If only there had been topless women in Tricolore text books

Just about the whole 5 years of 'senior' school from 1985 to 1990 was a big waste of time, strikes, 'new' GCSEs, diffident teachers, supply teachers and so-on. It put me off education leaving me a nearly 40 something thicky with no hope of anything.

Maths - elitist, boring grind. One of the teachers told everyone in the class I was "thick as two short planks".

I went back to the OU in my late twenties. I have the best part of a degree in maths and computer science now. And I'm good at it!

Never tell a kid they're stupid.

French and history.

French teacher was hopeless and I pretty much gave up, I would have dropped the subject, but it wasn't an option and it was the only subject in which I didn't get a top grade in the exams.

I was actually quite interested in history, but the teacher was utterly useless and just read out reams of stuff from a book for us to write out as dictation, never got anything out of the lessons but hand cramp, I learned absolutely nothing and dropped the subject as soon as I could. I wish I had been more forthright as a teenager and just walked out of her lessons, or not gone in the first place and instead gone to the library or done something else more productive. I was in good standing with my other teachers and I should have made a stand and complained about the complete waste of my time her lessons were.

I was put off school by disinterested and uninspiring teachers. Even when I moved from London to Bristol things didn't get much better, even though the school and teachers were much better.

I left school with almost no qualifications, and very fortunately took a mates advice to go to Weston Technical College, where I was treated as an individual and actually enjoyed learning.

Did it affect my future? I don't think so, I married a girl who became a teacher, so I obviously harbour no long term resentment ;)

I missed about 1 1/2 years of school but went back to do my exams...and later in life HE.

But all of my tutors were pretty lame hence getting very bored and missing school.

But one stood out.......the woodwork teacher who looked like an angry medievil chef who walked around with a giant wooden spoon he'd made, ready to hit anyone who , talked, made a mess, or god forbid cut themselves :shock: that would get you a beating.

If i had been a girl it would have been the German teacher who used to put his hand on girls backs while leaning over to look at their work and un-ping their bra's :shock: :shock:

I once got 20 marks out of 20 in a GCSE History test and the teacher (a young woman who was so left-wing and right-on it was just not true) took the mickey out of me in front of the rest of the class by calling me a swot! Sensitive lad that I was, I deliberately put at least one wrong answer in every test I did in History after that, to avoid the same humiliation. I've never forgotten that. I liked History and did well in the final exams, but it wasn't thanks to her.

Has it held me back? Nope.

Back