1994 Diamond Back Ascent - obligatory snow pics!

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Well, after selling the '92 Marin Eldridge and getting an '11 Pitch Pro it soon became apparent that once the trails turned to mud, 6" of travel (even though it can be locked out), 2.35" sticky tyres and a rather short cockpit weren't the best of commuting bedfellows.

So, after idly searching for a couple of weeks, a chance eBay description search for "STX" threw up a 1994 DiamondBack Ascent with a Buy-It-Now of £35, and within an hour's drive. Looked pretty original and was the right size to boot, so the BIN button was duly clicked and it was mine.

Five minutes after getting it, I randomly decided to search on RB for "Ascent" just to see if I could get some more info, and it threw up an Auction Watch thread about the very bike! So, I'm sorry to Pyro Tim, who missed out! :oops:

Anyway, picked her up and she's in amazing condition, and apart from the saddle, V-brakes and one tyre, seems to be completely original. That didn't last though, as I'm not the biggest fan of the retro arse-up/head-down riding position, so I chucked on a shorter stem and Azonic riser from a couple of other bikes lying around the house, and swapped the fat cracked blackwall tyres out for some IRC rustwalls.

Next up is some thumbies and proper V-brake levers to sort the braking out, new brake blocks and new cables all round, a better saddle, and I'm done :)

Attachments

• DSC_0527 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0527 (Large).JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,077
Quick pic from today's quick 10-miler round the army ranges and Tunnel Hill with the dog...

DSC_0587.jpg

Enjoy it mate, don't worry about me, your need was greater. I got one just before Christmas, for £10.49 ;)

Cost me a fair bit more for postage, but I only got it (/wanted the one you got) for the parts.

Moved the frameset on to Retroyetirigid on here, who's local to me, as his new commuter.

Some of the STX bits are on my wife's Christmas present (Kona Hahanna). The one I got had some other special goodies, that I'm keeping for myself.

I may have some V-brake levers, spare saddles in the man cave. Will have a look in the morning, when there is light, if you like. Are yours the STX canto levers / shifters combo? If so, I may be up for a swap

PM'd :cool:

Am actually getting grief from the OH for riding this instead of the Pitch at the mo! Hourses for courses I say, none of the decent trails are worth riding in this weather unfortunately...

Back