TI Raleigh 531

bedraggled":30ctd93e said:
The build stalled over the summer but yesterday I finally got it all built up so thought I would post a couple of pics.
Today I took it for a gentle ride around the estate, after making a couple of adjustments everything seemed to work ok - well nothing fell off :LOL:

Overall very pleased.

Nice. My own build stalled too. But have just got some NOS SSC Rims so currently just waiting for spokes, tubs, bar tape, pedals and cables :D

Really want to ride my Raleigh like you've just done with yours!

I had a look at your web site a few weeks ago to see how the build was going.
Saw that you had fallen in to the n+1 trap and now had another project.
Looking forward to seeing them completed.

bedraggled":38jyanr7 said:
Yeah, they would benefit from a little fettling, but considering I built it they're not bad :LOL:

The whole bike looks fantastic. I love the old Ti colours and the Campagnolo Super Record groupset is just so right!

Just to be pedantic...Regardless of the putative year of manufacture, this frame just looks early to mid '70's. The long Campag. rear ends on what is obviously a racing road bike, lack of braze-ons for gear levers and rear brake cable. The fact that you've equipped it with Nuovo Record reinforces this vibe.. It would be useless and hypocritical of me to argue for extreme period correctness, but if you could stretch to one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/TA-STEEL-Bottle-CAGE-VGC-/251157824805 and cloth bar-tape, the time-warp would be glitch-free, for me anyway!

Beautiful bike... It's just the fact that it's so close that any anachronistic detail draws (my) attention. :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The frame number gives the age of the bike away :) It would most likely had a Cobra bottle cage :)

Like the ones we sold in the ship BITD :D

Shaun

So is this definitely a 1977 frame? I may have to concede the Benotto bar tape then....TBH I cannot remember... What year did that stuff first appear on the market? IIRC it can't have been much before '77, if at all.

I never even heard of a Cobra bottle cage before I read your post. After a trip over to Velobase, I can see that I would have had to have been a very sharp-eyed teenager to distinguish it from a T.A., in a photo of, say, Hennie Kuiper, 35 years ago. So, yeah, a Cobra if you prefer.. Save yourself another ounce! I seem to remember one called 'Emmepi', or something like that, as well. What year did the Elite cages appear?

Anyway, for all I know, the OP may be perfectly content with the existing cage. Also, the last thing I want to do is encourage anyone to pay inflated prices for obsolescent bicycle components.. A bottle cage was about a fiver in 1977, and that's about what I'd pay for the same one now... They can't be that rare... :twisted: :)

Number is SB1280..... Looking at Shawn's list below.....

Year Start Number for year
1974 0
1975 200
1976 700
1977 1400
1978 2100
1979 2800
1980 3500
1981 4200
1982 4900
1983 5600
1984 6300
1985 7000
1986 7700

places the frame as a mid 76 give or take a few months.

We sold a lot of Cobra bottle cages because they were alloy and cheap :)

Hull where I lived had the Icelandic cod wars and suffered from 3 day week, power cuts and the like. Quite a few people used shoppacheck back then so cheap and cheerful was the order of the day..

Shaun

Back