Terrys Chocolate Orange anyone? "Bluey" FINISHED

It's up and running! :D :D :D

Its all together and seems to be operating ok, will test ride it more tomorrow. :D

couple of final changes .... the XTR front mech was swapped in favour of a Deore XT one as Try as I might I couldn't get the XTR one set up :oops: but the XT one was done in 20 mins :)

This somewhat confused me since the XTR is supposed to work with a 46t big ring ant the XT is max 44t and thats a 46t big ring :?

Will also need to tweek the brake blocks as the brake squeal is horrific! I'm hoping its the blocks not the 0.5m of movement the cantis have on the posts :?

Anyhoo Here's a couple of pics of the mongrel....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Current all up weight is 23.67lb which is pleasing, hope to shed a little with the final build but that is a damn good starting weight :D

Brakes

When setting up the brakes, stick a penny between the trailing edge of the brake block and rim, line up the blocks with the rim and push against it, then tighten.
This is called "toe in" which should stop any squeel or Judder. Also try not to have the barake arms set too far out. (you have them set a long way out on the front)
The play along the boss, shouldn't cause squeel. Aztec pads are also much better than Shimano and lighter.

Yeah I remember doing that BITD. I just did it with a small thin washer and reset them all. I would have said a penny was a bit thick?

I always did set my pads quite wide, I like the "feel" with them set this way plus all the angles get fairly close to 90deg at the point of contact so power should be pretty good. I will see tomorrow if my memory of how I used to set up cantis is correct or not....

Any suggestions about the front mech?

Nice bike!

I always use an elastic band around the brake block to toe them in, works a treat (usually.... :? )

:D

Nice bike!

I always use an elastic band around the brake block to toe them in, works a treat (usually.... )

Thanks! Yeah I've seen it done tat way too, I just sellotape a washer to each side of the rim. same result. :D

Anyone got any wisdom about the front mech cos it's kind of annoying me! :x

Real nice build - middleburn crank looks great on the orange - like the wheels too with the red nipples either side of the valve - nice touch.

So erm... any plans on painting the fork another colour? ;)

Mech

That front mech won't work, with that ring set, it's designed for modern bikes with smaller diameter. rings and smaller steps, needs a bottom swing "high band" olde skool type.

like the wheels too with the red nipples either side of the valve - nice touch.

I have to thank Cannondale king for this as these were his wheels They are nice wheels :D :D :D

The plan is to strip it down in about a month and get the frame and fork shot blasted and re-painted (probably powder coat) then maybe new Decals from Gil.

I just wanted to get it built up to make sure it all worked together and I would fit it, as my previous C16r was a 19" and this is a 17". Seems good up to now but I've only taken it round the block so far. :oops:

That front mech won't work, with that ring set, it's designed for modern bikes with smaller diameter. rings and smaller steps, needs a bottom swing "high band" olde skool type.

This is what I thought and I purchased a reasonable high band M901 XTR top pull because of it, but as I said earlier in the thread I just couldn't get it set up.... :oops: Any tips?

Mech

How come it won't work? What's the fault? It's best to start without a cable attached, but the chain in situ.
Are the mech forks parallel with the chainring line?
Adjust the lower stop with the chain in the largest rear cog and the granny ring, so it just clears the inner plate, then attach cable and shift into big ring to ensure the fork clears the big ring by around 3-4mm-(this is very much trial and error) The shift into the big ring and small cog at rear, to then adjust the upper stop, so it just clears the outer plate but still shifts onto the big ring.
It should then be set up and work fine.
Excuse if I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs :oops:

Back