Cycling Books review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a fascinating read, and having also read David Millar and Paul Kimmage's books, you can only conclude that the UCI was using a guide dog and a white stick when it came to doping.

As for Pantani, I think the saddest thing is that he knew that with the exception of maybe one person, all the people around him, including his family, had long stopped seeing him as a person, and just regarded him as a money making commodity.

I'll need to read Kimmages book at some point.

I think a lot of the people in Marcos life thought they needed to keep him cycling to stop him from being even more self destructive. There is a lot that could have been done to help him out, but as is often the case when someone becomes rich and therefore powerfull, too many people are frightened to take things in hand or he just used his power to swat them aside.

He was going to be a troubled bloke no matter the walk of life he took, but if he had been more normal it would have been easier to tackle his issues I think. :(

firedfromthecircus":34subt6g said:
He was going to be a troubled bloke no matter the walk of life he took, but if he had been more normal it would have been easier to tackle his issues I think. :(

No doubt about that.

It just seems that near the end, everyone was fighting everyone else and with the exception of Mengozzi, they all lost sight of a troubled little bloke called Marco.

Just finished Tomorrow, We Ride by Jean Bobet.

A really nice book, no great insights as this is really the story of Jean and his better known elder brother Louison, but a delightful glimpse into racing in France and in the Grand Tours during the 1950's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back