spds

sylus

Old School Grand Master
not looking for any right now but would like to ask the roadies

best value/comfy spd shoes and pedals...any recommendations?

I have been told Specialized shoes fit well and are very comfy.

I have several pairs of road and mtb Shimano shoes and the fit on each is different! In general (UK size) you need a size larger, but that then makes them slightly generous in the toe. They are good shoes though, and the last well.

My other road shoes are first generation Fizik, which did not fit my son, but fit me perfectly and are extremely comfortable. My son and I are both the same height with the same sized feet, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Fizik have now redesigned the entire range, so I can only assume that my feet are deformed in some way and that the new range will not fit me at all. ;)

Specalized s works shoes are the nuts. Expensive though.

Northwave shoes a fab too. Shimano M087 shoe is pretty damm good as well. I prefer Northwave a the fit is better.

If it's an MTB-style SPD pedal with a 2-bolt cleat mount I wouldn't go down the SPD route at all. Time ATAC Aliums are way more reliable and fairly easy on the wallet.
Simple spring mechanism, serviceable bearings and the cleats last for yonks. Been using them for 'cross for a decade now (in fact I think my original pair of Aliums from 2002-ish might still be on my touring bike....)!

David

Sorry for the delay in replying

No not mtb but road the winter has been rather absent (usually 3 feet of snow now till may) so I thought a road bike until the crap weather then a turbo trainer over the winter to keep the fitness/weight loss going

It will depend on your feet - mine are narrow and I find Sidis extremely comfortable. Not particularly cheap new but you can usually find loads in decent condition on eBay for very reasonable prices.

Back