Surly Roll Call

velomaniac":361ohnx1 said:
Surly's are new bikes :shock:

TRAITORS

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:oops: I've been afraid of this for a while noo. Velo I'm modern only from noo on, the Retrobikes are going to be summer only, dry trail, once in a blue moon riders. Effectively garage queens. :oops:

I'll admit to getting the Surly bug. Cross check, 1X1 and an Instigator have all caught my eye over the last wee while.

velomaniac":2j64i8um said:

TRAITORS

From a recent Velo post

velomaniac":2j64i8um said:
I'd recommend modern bikes with discs for what I plan as the mud around here in wet format eats both brake blocks and rims.

:oops:

clockworkgazz":8q945mll said:
two words "on one" ;)

In so much that ever since they've started On One has systematically copied everyone else's niche, albeit at a cut down price. I have an original 853 Inbred which I still love 10 years on, but its a copy of Surly/spot bikes that came first. Same with their fat bike. Good bikes but they're not innovators. Their fat bike is also really ugly. And that's from a Pugsley owner!

clubby":66jkon3k said:
velomaniac":66jkon3k said:

TRAITORS

From a recent Velo post

velomaniac":66jkon3k said:
I'd recommend modern bikes with discs for what I plan as the mud around here in wet format eats both brake blocks and rims.

:oops:

This came to my mind too. :LOL:

Also Velo, How is your 29'er build coming on? ;)

Look you blind critters, did ye no see the triple laughing faces below the 'Traitors' bit. Whats the point of emoticons if you ignore them.

Further Surly are still a modernish brand, this is retrobike, thats all I'm saying.

And as for Clubby's claim that the inbred's a knock down Surly copy thats just plain bo*****'s :roll: Surly 1x1 is just a standard 90's style mtb with track ends which is all thats inovative about it, Inbred looks nothing like a Surly and has different geometry. On One do copy other niches but they dont directly copy other bikes and they do do it cheaper and I never said they were inovative plus I never mentioned them in the first place, that was Gaz :roll:

Pause for breath

As for modern I have no problem with it, just cant afford it, my 29er is afterall just a cheapo hybrid with shoehorned in 29er tyres. I have ridden it and I dont like how knackered I get rotating those huge tractor tyres but yes it does roll over stuff quite well. Still in 2 minds about it :?

OK I've ranted enough but feel I must remind folk this is Retrobike, there are forums galore for modern marvels !

and relax.... :LOL:

Get what you are saying about modern bikes Mr K, the Surly is 100% better than any of the retro rides I've had so far.However I still love to ride the wicked whatever the weather and for the less demanding trails it is my go to bike- Simple, compliant and looks the baws.

I suppose it helps that is no garage queen- the benifit of not building it up in the first place (cheers Rado) is I don't feel bad at all about thrashing it (as I do with the Yo :oops: ). Different strokes and all that pish.

velomaniac":19rg3ddr said:
As for modern I have no problem with it, just cant afford it, my 29er is afterall just a cheapo hybrid with shoehorned in 29er tyres. I have ridden it and I dont like how knackered I get rotating those huge tractor tyres but yes it does roll over stuff quite well. Still in 2 minds about it :?
Lighter tyres will make a significant difference Velo - what are you using right now?

I run Nevegals on the Mary - they weigh a ton (810g) but I love the grip so the compromise is worthwhile. I fitted a Racing Ralph (515g) and a Bonty Jones (538g) for 10UTB and they made a significant (and relatively cheap) difference to the way the bike felt. 'Eff all grip mind!

Its OK I just need to get fitter and work on gearing but the tyres are CST Critters and not bad weight wise. Still working on bike fit anyway so improvements will follow.
One advantage of my hybrid based machine is as its not suspension corrected the angles are steeper and thus in my opinion its not sluggish in steering at all. Still not sure its a major improvement on a 26er though but time will tell.

Back