Muddy Fox Explorer - built to explore!

lae

Retro Guru
Here we go. Off to New Zealand for a few years in the spring and I'm planning to do some cyclo-camping and off road touring (as well as general non-serious MTBing) - but being a student means I've got bugger all money (or more correctly, I spent all my money on my Gazelle).

So, saw this Muddyfox for sale and the geometry appeared good (21" ST, 22" TT) with 71 degree angles. Delivered the other day (thanks!) and had a ride around on it.

Purists stop reading now - it's not going to stay original I'm afraid!

dsc00025jd.jpg

Good points
1. Tange butted chromo frame and forks
2. Front and rear mudguard eyelets, plenty of clearance, rear rack mounts, front lowrider mounts
3. Everything works, 175mm cranks
4. Fits well (relatively short top-tube considering the size of the bike)

Not-so-good points:
1. A bit ugly
2. Higher bottom bracket than I was higher than I was expecting - higher than my other MTBs from the same era. Not so good for road-touring but good for off-roading, I suppose.

Got some bits in the post this morning:
dsc00029iet.jpg

Spend so far - £165, £100 of which was the bike itself. I'm going to get some Spa Cycles handbuilt wheels for it as I will most likely be carrying a fair amount of stuff - I'm going to try to keep the whole thing under £400, leaving me more money to spend on a new tent, sleeping pad etc.

Some of these Muddy Foxes that turn up seem to be absolute bargains. Look forward to seeing what you do to yours, as well as some photos from the NZ trip.

Rich34":vqfj4b0a said:
Some of these Muddy Foxes that turn up seem to be absolute bargains. Look forward to seeing what you do to yours, as well as some photos from the NZ trip.

Likewise. I have such a soft spot for these old Muddy's. I'd love to see it set-up as a MTB tourer (something else I have a soft spot/fetish for :D).

How much for the wheels then?

Good luck with the tour.. and get a 'hilleberg' tent.. it's the only way to go..

Ugly!!!????

Personally, I think its lovely, as are most MFs from this period.

Good Luck!

The wheels are a smart move in upgrading, I'd also consider swapping the bb to a un54 ..bullet proof and cheap and then if budget allows...what about a higher stem with drops?....ooo and if pennies allow and if possible..upgrade cantis to v's, this will help with the braking better on a fully loaded bike.

I have a UN54 kicking around somewhere. Whatever BB this has, it appears to be a sealed one, anyway.

The plan is to go for drops - I've just got the Midge bars, actually. The problem is finding a stem - I found a Nitto Dirt Drop on fleabay but after I bought it, the buyer sent an email saying they were out of stock! Velosolo and Freshtripe are also out. I can get them from the US but they're about £65-70.

Velosolo sell a Kalin stem which is tall (165mm to the insertion line) with 50mm forward reach - has anyone got any advice?

With regards to selling the original wheels - dunno yet. I'll probably roll around on these ones until the spring. I'll probably keep the saddle, it's pretty cool. I wouldn't say the bike is ugly, as such, but it's certainly mis-matching - black and yellow? The frame's lovely, the components... not so much.

I'm going to stick with the current brakes as otherwise I'd have to have the rear mounts moved - V-brakes won't work with U-brake mounts. Plus I can say from experience that cantis give excellent modulation.

As for carrying stuff - I have a bikepack.pl large seatpack, a rear rack I already own, and I'm going to try to make some framebags (since I have access to an industrial sewing machine).

A front rack can be very good if you're carrying a lot - you can get the weight down low around (or below) the axles and after a few kilometres you don't even feel it.

From experience, a flighty SL-framed Italian thoroughbred lightweight road bike is no match for a fully loaded mountain bike with front and rear panniers down an alpine descent. The stability makes it feel so planted it's just fantastic.

Back