Sachs New Succes and Fir Aliseo for cyclocross?

Sachs new success hubs are beautiful pieces of engineering art, if you ask me :) I have a set on my caygill, both 32h, cassette type rear. they spin forever, and the bearings are sealed units anyway so if they do ever wear out then replacing with new ones shouldn't be a problem. Those fir rims look nice - they're probably pretty strong, so I think you should be OK with the spoke count you're taking about.

drotos.toth":1xswlocy said:
The rear hub is the cassette-type, 8spd. I think the last series, before SRAM...

I'm currently racing CX on a 32-hole New Success rear hub - mine is a very early incarnation of the cassette variant, branded as Maillard with the "m" logo on it (bought NOS a couple of years back, but it was delivered in Sachs packaging!). Can't praise it enough, the sealed bearings are just the job for coping with all that 'cross chucks at them, freehub mechanism great also. Splines are Shimano pattern so no end of cassettes out there that will fit.

Meanwhile the front wheel on the same bike uses a 32h Hope hub, bought in 2001 and still happily rolling on its original bearings! :)

David

foz":3v6k8gi0 said:
Sachs new success hubs are beautiful pieces of engineering art, if you ask me :) I have a set on my caygill, both 32h, cassette type rear. they spin forever, and the bearings are sealed units anyway so if they do ever wear out then replacing with new ones shouldn't be a problem. Those fir rims look nice - they're probably pretty strong, so I think you should be OK with the spoke count you're taking about.

The New Success bearing races are a common commercial item, 6001 spec or similar IIRC and units from firms like SKF can be had via the RS catalogue etc.

David

Hope you plan to fit more than 16 spokes to your front wheel - another couple would be better ;-)

Rims look plenty strong - I have a similar pair but in 28 hole in my shed - they weight 550g and I'd classify them a bomb-proof.

Back