8 or 9 speed - opinions please!

Tell you what though, on the club ride i did last sunday at Wooler Common i was jelous as hell of the lads on the new FSR bikes running 10 speed when i was on my older 99 Elite FSR, i remember me being in the easiest gear i had, my legs burning up, looking across and seeing the chap next to me still haveing another 2 easier gear choices left in reserve, fook me i was utterly destroyed.

I made it to the top, but i had to stand up to do the final 1/4 of the climb, this enabled my legs to stretch a bit more, a bit like a super slow stair climb LOL, i probably would have been faster walking up it tbh.

Extreme case though, but this is the stuff i like to ride, still sticking with 8 though, had 10 speed on the boardman, felt great but i knew it was not as durable.

Your lowest ratio is nout to do with the number of gears you have.

Change your cassette and possibly rear changing thing if you need a lower low, and you can maybe swap out yer granny ring for something with a couple less teeth and all.

i don't have any problems with 8,9 or 10 speed. As long as set up correctly it works and lasts if used correctly.

Back