Up yours, winter!

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just finished a winter build :)

Built around a scruffy Cindercone frame with equally scruffy Fox forks and all the notchy bearing bits and cosmetically naff components in the spares box plus a set of disc brakes and 8 speed shifters from here. 9 speed seems to die in really bad mud so back to good old retro 8 speed. Clunk, clunk up and down the cassette :LOL:

Hopefully this will prevent expensive bills on my other bikes.

SP

you got pics?

i'm just about to relieve my 8 speed xt groupset of its duties for winter - waiting for some singlespeed bits to arrive, the seafront down here makes for quite the 'salt spray' test. rust seems to be as much as part of the scenery as anything :(
means i'll need a new IG90 chain probably pretty soon :(:(:(

Shimano chains seem to be made of pasta. They are beautifully smooth and quiet, but it seems to be at the expense of durability. KMC and SRAM last longer IME.

yar, i may have to agree with you there. i do care for my chain as much as possible, but i would like a chian that didnt rust so easily.
may try KMC for my winter chain :)

Must get my SS rebuilt and then get fit by riding it. Can't and won't be bothered with cleaning drive chains in the winter.
So stick that in your pipe winter :p

My Main expensive bike is (sadly) still too nice and new after the last clean, I'd rather put the miles on it in summer first and missed this one. So I'm doing a Trailstar Mk1 with my old bits. Its bound to be too small and SS so perfect fun machine!

I hate cleaning skany drive trains in the winter...especially when you're cold and muddy, still in your riding gear and all you want is s hot shower. I've started using a ceramic lube and its loads better.

I'm going to use January to get my SX repainted because the weather is usually trim.

Well, I took it for the first proper ride today around Woburn Sands. I did about 40 minutes and the chainsuck got so bad I had to call it a day. :x I've ordered a new set of steel rings to replaced the shagged XT aluminum ones. This is the trouble when using well used parts.....

I also picked up a set of scruffy wheels to put on.... getting expensive, this. I'll get some pics up when the bloody thing is rideable.

SP

you travelled from woking to ride woburn? i live 10 mins away from it and dont bother going there, am i missing something?

I was visiting the in-laws who live nearby and sneaked out for a quick spin around the woods early in the morning... it seemed ok, lots of riders.

Back