Not just for Scotchlanders

highlandsflyer":cy0079x1 said:
I am a Pict. Wiki that lad, while you eat your yuppie porridge.

No need i subscribe to the belief that the picts were celtic in origin, we split at some point then the picts merged ( read as got asses kicked) with the Celtic Gaels ;)

mmmm this yuppie porridge is fine :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Whatever way you take your porridge, the Picts were not of Irish extraction. The whole debate about who was who historically is moot; thanks to the fact we all came from the exact same place at some point.

A little like tartan, bagpipes and the like; all of which can be found historically in cultures elsewhere than Scotland and Ireland.

highlandsflyer":25ljwbdp said:
The whole debate about who was who historically is moot; thanks to the fact we all came from the exact same place at some point.

A little like tartan, bagpipes and the like; all of which can be found historically in cultures elsewhere than Scotland and Ireland.

I think Tartan is english,

agree with the rest, my family names Gilroy and Gallagher have very strong Scottish links, I was always taught that the Scottish are our kinsfolk and that we are one and the same people by my mother.

I just enjoy banter and history, but not with any political motivation you understand.

Still porridge or stirabout is magical stuff, and my dad does indeed eat it without sugar or milk ;)

Charlieboy28":2abt8ma2 said:
I think Tartan is english

The whole link between tartan and Scottish clans was fabricated by a couple of blokes from Eastern Europe who came over to London in the Victorian era, IIRC. The whole tartan myth was unravelled (no textile pun intended) on a BBC documentary series a while ago. May well have been Neil "Coast" Oliver's very good series on the Celts.

David

Conflation of two ideas.

The origin of tartan, and its use in Scotland.

The origin of tartan as a clan uniform.

The stories vary, but there seems little doubt tartan has been worn in Scotland, amongst other places, for an awfully long time.

Possibly B.C.

There are many references to tartan of varying types being worn as markers of status, going back long before Victorian times.

As clans operated very much like a cast system, it is not unreasonable to assume that is the origin of clan tartans, rather than the introduction of the idea from outwith.

Naturally, going into battle one would want to indicate one's allegiance, lest one received a blow from one's ally.

The concept of individual dress as uniform would be an obvious evolution from such as a marker of status.

Back