I'm new and after a Raleigh Criterium!

wafers

Dirt Disciple
Evening all. I have just discovered this forum after googling 'Raleigh Criterium', and see I missed out on one for sale on here in October :(
Anyway, a bit of my history. I have owned a few racers; a Peugeot, Carlton and Raleigh Elite (I think it was called). Next I bought a nearly new Criterium in about '90/'91 at the age of about 16. Unfortunately it was sold when I hit the road with 4 wheels at the age of 17. Various mountain bikes have come and gone since.
Recently I got thinking about my old bike. Then I clicked that I'd sold it to the local plod in my parents village. Cutting a long story short, I got rather excited about the concept that maybe he'd kept it, left it in the corner, and I could buy it back for peanuts. Some digging later, and it transpires he 'took it to the tip' a few years ago. Fantastic. Inevitable it was no longer around I guess, after a 20+ year period, but being weighed in seemed a real shame.
Since this disappointment, I've been doing lots of digging around, to see if I can find another to have a play with. Seems not!
If anyone knows of any, let me know; I'd be over the moon to own another.
Here's hoping!

Here's a photo of a Criterium identical to my old bike. I reckon mine must have been about 1987, like this one:
raleighcriterium.jpg

Keep looking on ebay and gumtree, i've seen a couple on there in the last few months. I think they were blue though.

There's a guy on this forum restored and modernised one, he got it done in white and it looks the nuts! I doubt he'd sell it (owned from new)

Always liked the look of these myself - they were a slight cut above the rest of the Raleigh 501 models as they had an extra set of bottle mounts! In a similar vein the Peugeot Triathlon is another bike of that level to look out for; it used a full 501 tubeset rather than just the 3 main tubes of the Raleighs.

David

David B":2xq34yl9 said:
Always liked the look of these myself - they were a slight cut above the rest of the Raleigh 501 models as they had an extra set of bottle mounts! In a similar vein the Peugeot Triathlon is another bike of that level to look out for; it used a full 501 tubeset rather than just the 3 main tubes of the Raleighs.

David

I renovated a mates Peugeot Triathlon (1991 ish) and that was 531 main tubes but I know it was 501 a year or two earlier. I don't think there is such a thing as a full 501 tubeset. I've not seen any Reynolds stickers that refer to 501 stays either.

There's a bloke at work commutes on a decent Criterium. I told him I thought it was really nice but he needed to put proper bars on it is it has ugly flat bars on it. Turns out he put them on it himself :LOL:

rolf f":36qmezn4 said:
David B":36qmezn4 said:

David

I renovated a mates Peugeot Triathlon (1991 ish) and that was 531 main tubes but I know it was 501 a year or two earlier. I don't think there is such a thing as a full 501 tubeset. I've not seen any Reynolds stickers that refer to 501 stays either.

There's a bloke at work commutes on a decent Criterium. I told him I thought it was really nice but he needed to put proper bars on it is it has ugly flat bars on it. Turns out he put them on it himself :LOL:

With hindsight I think the Peugeot Triathlon might have been 501 main triangle & fork blades only. Early models were 501 (e.g. http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7064/696 ... 7ddd6d.jpg) but you're right - later ones were 531 (indeed I saw a 531 version on eBay earlier this year) and had the pink & black colour scheme as sported by Equipe Z's pro-level machines.

David
David

Evenin all,I have an original Raleigh criterium triathlon in mint condition that I would love to sell to the highest bidder :)it's currently in storage (and has been for the best part last 20 to 25 years)I'm currently in Ireland,but my the bike is in north wales,anyone out there interested?i also have an original 80s raleigh super burner also in excellent original condition,I guess my folks had good taste in bikes when I was growing up lol open to offers on both.no photos until I'm back in the UK,but believe me that they both are in pristine condition and totally original,cheers

Welcome Taffy22.

There is a for sale section on here for bikes which is the correct place, although you will have to name a price as this is not an auction site.

Otherwise the best place will be evilbay and out the auction in the e-bay section here.

Shaun

Back