Finally, the Retro Roberts 'Roadster' is done

neilll":3s17jv17 said:
pete_mcc":3s17jv17 said:
Details of the decals:

How did you get that cow to stand still for so long.....?? :LOL: :LOL:

My own personal supply of Ketamine, and the threat of taking Deago (my Argentinian anorexic cow -well, have you seen how thin he is, barely 5mm thick) to the abattoir!

That is stunning, 100% what I like about a retrobike, judicious use of old and new, excellent detailing and a bike you can look at for days. I've read a few times on the forum of people not so keen on the use of modern components, but I think this is a perfect example of how when done right the machine becomes more than the sum of its parts. And a lot harder to acheive than copying from a catalogue IMO. Really something original.Chapeau.

I hate to say it, but - saddle and brakes aside - I really like the "before" picture! Have you got any more pictures of that build?

All those hours of re-drawing decals suddenly become worth it :D

Really like that, bet you are really please with how it turned out?

To be honest Gil's got to take a load of credit for the way this bike has turned out. All I gave Gil to work from was this:

trans-28.jpg

Personally I think he improved on the original!

Problem was when the decals came back, I then had to spend the extra on having a really nice paint job to do them justice, had to have several layers of extra lacquer put to to get the shine and had to get the rear end chromed. Because I got the rear end chromed the front end wouldn't match well enough so I had to buy a new set of RC30s and then have them reprayed and chromed. Because of the chrome, the bullseye cranks I had bought for it didn't match so I had to get NOS cooks, because of the cooks I had to get Cooks rings, with the cooks in place the brake levers had to be replaced with Graftons.......you get the idea. Even things like the gold bits and the Scott Mathauser pads are because of the decals!

Big thanks to Gil and his creativity!

Back