Who has owned their Retrobike from new?

the only retro bike I own that was the second bike I bought from new, all been s/h.

traded in a green Saracen Kilicomp, the like of which I've not seen since, at Mclaines Cycles, Wolverhamoption (they still trading?); with hindsight I probably should haver kept it. :? It was in a sale, a 1996 model bought in 1988 at about 500 off RRP.

Started off with girvin double crown forks (dunno if that is the correct name but the stanchions go all the way to the top); these were replaced after maybe the second ride why I found I could not turn the forks enough by a pair of Z1 bombers.

next the rear elastomers were replaced by a rather expensive SpeedPro spring for £ 60; I *think* it had a rather expensive and unbreakable ControlTech seat post that went onto another bike that I ended up snaoping!

had a fair amount of use, the highlight was getting to the the top of dunkery beacon but then got put away for quite a few years until I started frequenting the K2 riders forum and here where I decided to modernise it - now it has disc brakes front and back, 3x9 gears as well as conversion for a modern air shock.

Attachments

• DSC07861.JPG
    DSC07861.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 573
  • DSC07859.JPG
    DSC07859.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 573
Hi all

I still have an original 92 Cro-Mega LX frame in white. My mate who worked in a LBS in Cwmbran got the frame from the importers in Portskewett and we spec'd it ourselves. Originally it had a 500LX bits as I couldn't afford the Deore LX kit that it should have had.

The frame is still intact and has been resprayed recently to its pearly white brilliance again, with new Gil M decals waiting to be applied. It now has Deore DX kit sourced mostly through your good selves.

Love the thing even though it feels like the back-end is flexing when ragging it down singletrack :LOL:

It was 1989 and I was harassing the boys in the Merlin shop every time I visited family in the area;
Chasing down the UPS truck whenever it was in my neighborhood to ask if they had a rather big box for me;
Telling the neighbors to accept any box with my name on it and to not let the big brown truck leave without asking if they had something for me even if I wasn't home;
Taping a note to the door for UPS stating to leave it with Mr./Mrs. M (the neighbor to the left) or Mr./Mrs. G (the neighbor to the right) or Mr./Mrs. C (the neighbor across the street) - and then going to those houses every day if there was nothing at my own home ...

I finally received, raced and still have:
image-1.jpg

image.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-6.jpg

image-5.jpg

This thread's just perfect for reminiscing about my much loved, still kept, youd have to tear it from my dying hands, custom, bought-all-the-parts-with-part-time-jobs-whilst-in-sixth-form-in-the-mid-nineties-whilst-getting-the-frame-on-six-months-interest-free-credit-with-a-bit-of-help-from-nan (never forget you nan), 856...

But as for pics... I need to have a good look at some point to dig some out...!

Ahhhh, sentiment... It's truly priceless :)

Cheers all, nighty night ;)

I still have my 1993 GT RTS-1. I am the original owner and just this past weekend took it on a nice 60 mile ride down the Fox River trail in IL with friends.

Maintenance before the ride:
DSC02078.jpg

during the ride:
DSC02133copy.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02204.jpg

DSC02126copy.jpg

DSC02214.jpg

DSC02120.jpg

near the end of the 60 mile ride. :( I still wanted to ride more!
DSC02241.jpg

Back