Minehead to Skegness or bust

photoman125

Dirt Disciple
Well I'm just waiting the go ahead from Butlins but if they say: yes then my son in law and myself will be cycling from Butlins at Minehead up and across t Butlins at Skegness. We will be using 2 1960's Sid Motrram lightweight bicycles with all period fittings, except the panniers.
We intend to use national cycle routes as much as possible, total distance 310 miles. The ride is taking part in September 2013 over a 3 to 4 day period, no back up vehicles so we will be carrying our own spares.
Once the dates are confirmed we will set up a donation site and a website to show our progress. Money raised will be for children's hospices.
We will need some help taking the bikes and two riders from Skegness to Minehead, the plan is our wife's and my young daughter will stay at Skeg Butlins which is already booked. More details soon[/img]

Well change of plans, I will now be doing the ride alone and due to medical advice on my back will be using straight handlebars. Now do I take my daily commuter Carlton Corsair or use one of the Sid Motrams and fit some nos bars that I have sitting in the shed. I even have some nos bluemell full mudguards lol

It's a shame you've lost your riding partner, I'm sure if you put the word out on RB and through local cycle clubs, you could drum up a relay of riders to keep you company.

As far as bikes'n'bars; why not put some straight bars on one of the Sid Motram bikes and try a couple of hours to see if it suits. If it does, all is good, if not, then break out the trusty Carlton.

Thanks will give it a try at weekend. I'm not to worried about loosing my cycling partner it was originally going to be a solo effort, nearer the time I'll publish the route and would love to have some company along the route from rb even if it,s only for a couple of miles :)

That looks like a nice ride,quite a bit of flat and rolling road.Should be good unless you get a North Easterly wind.

Thanks Matt, next thing to decide is the saddle. I'm tempted to go with the leather Brooks saddle from one of the Sid Mottram bikes, it's in great condition but missing the tensioner.But I,m sure I can make one

Back