XC pro thumbies

They are my preferred shifters on any build & have always used them on Shimano systems & they work brilliantly (8 spd indexed) :)

I'm even putting them on my '97 Kona ;)

thanks guys, it seems pretty certain that these will work, so I'm well chuffed :)

why is it that all new 8s cassettes start with an 11t though?

I'm looking at 11-32 I reckon, with 26/38t chainrings probably (unless I decide to go triple - the only reason for that is that I'm not convinced I like the look of crank arms without the outer ring installed :oops: )

cheers, Andy

foz":q5flie2r said:
why is it that all new 8s cassettes start with an 11t though?

The advent of 8speed did coincide with the introduction of Microdrive by Suntour (later copied and sold as "compact drive" in Shimano language). An 11 tooth sprocket was necessary to get the same drive capacity as the traditional gears having chainrings up to 48 teeth.

any suggestions for a 110 bcd bashguard then? I'm not convinced myself, but if I find something I like...

Inzaman":1z1fkaco said:
foz":1z1fkaco said:
Thanks. if I can get them to work, then I'd want to use them indexed with 8 speed. I've been checking sheldon's spacing cribsheet, and I can't see why they won't work:

shimano 7s has 5.0mm c-c between sprockets, while shimano 8s has 4.8mm. suntour 8s has a mixture of 4.8 and 5.0mm. since shimano 7 and 8 systems generally work well together, I see no reason why the xc pros won't work well with a shimano cassette.

I think I've got a couple of shimano 8s cassettes (road ratios, but the spacing is the same) so I'll give it a go and see what happens!

I'd be interested to see if you can get this to work as i am contemplating going down this route with Suntour thumbies, i might however try and source a Suntour rear mech but will no doubt be a Shimano or Shimano derivative cassette :)

Steve. The kona you borrowed had Suntour xc pro shifters, xt mech and cassette. All work fine.
:D

rc200ti":1c4ectsm said:
Inzaman":1c4ectsm said:
foz":1c4ectsm said:
Thanks. if I can get them to work, then I'd want to use them indexed with 8 speed. I've been checking sheldon's spacing cribsheet, and I can't see why they won't work:

shimano 7s has 5.0mm c-c between sprockets, while shimano 8s has 4.8mm. suntour 8s has a mixture of 4.8 and 5.0mm. since shimano 7 and 8 systems generally work well together, I see no reason why the xc pros won't work well with a shimano cassette.

I think I've got a couple of shimano 8s cassettes (road ratios, but the spacing is the same) so I'll give it a go and see what happens!

I'd be interested to see if you can get this to work as i am contemplating going down this route with Suntour thumbies, i might however try and source a Suntour rear mech but will no doubt be a Shimano or Shimano derivative cassette :)

Steve. The kona you borrowed had Suntour xc pro shifters, xt mech and cassette. All work fine.
:D
:oops: this is what piqued my interest in thumbies as well as I experienced how well they shifted :)

foz":3ssp0xp3 said:
any suggestions for a 110 bcd bashguard then? I'm not convinced myself, but if I find something I like...

Rock Ring by Girvin?

Back