What are these bosses for?

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
Can anyone tell me what the bosses on the back of the seat tube are for?

Thanks.

medicitime014.jpg

bottle cage. aero type. Instead of those type that clamp on the seat. Aids aerodynamics I guess.

Your frame?

Funny that there is a bottle cage on the down tube too LOL

Certainly looks like bottle cage bosses though :) bit near the thigh though............

Shaun

There was a similar post recently where someone thought they were to hold gas bottles (CO2 etc). I don't think there was a definitive answer.

Thanks all.

The best guess on LFGSS was for a bottle cage, but you'd think they'd stick the pump on the top tube and the second cage in the usual place.

I suppose the fact it has pump pegs, dates it to before the position of bottle cage bosses became standardised. However, it has top tube cable guides, DTS bosses and an under the BB cable guide, so it can't be that old.

The bosses also seemed quite prominent compared to the usual, but I guess that would be to clear the seat post clamp.

Every day's a school day...

That is a very nice frame, interesting tubing and design. Have you any info in it? More pics please - i know your camera will be out anyway!

It's a hellenic style frame and with the pump peg and pump mount on the seat tube the only place to go with the second bottle cage was the back of the seat tube. I'd have put the pump peg on the under side of the top tube and the second bottle cage on the front of the seat tube,

The reason for the stand-off bosses is otherwise the bolts and bosses would intrude into the seat tube - and then the seatpost wouldn't go in!

Back