Finally, the Retro Roberts 'Roadster' is done

pete_mcc

Feature Bike
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
It's taken an age to finish but it's finally done!

To give you some background, I've always loved 1920s and 30s British roadster bikes, like Hetchins, Bates and the like - all chrome, brass and swoopy lines. I've always loved the decals, so much attention to detail and so intricate.

A little while ago I bought a Roberts frame off here, looked like this:

ymmdiq.jpg

just a bit dull! But then the idea struck, why not make a Roadster-esque retro bike that'll do me for Sunday pootles with the girlfriend down the canal paths to the pub.

So Gil_m was contacted to replicate some Hetchins-alike 'fairground' decals, Bob Jacksons were contacted about a total refurb, ebay was put on stand-buy for a spending spree.
I was going to do this right, so I sat about identifying all the key features I wanted. First off I had to have chromed dropout front and rear (there's nothing worse than spending a fortune on paint only to have it ruined the first time you put a wheel in), it had to have a matching stem, and forks. It had to have as much shiney stuff as possible and it had to have swoopy bars.

The bars of choice for most roadsters were North Road bars, so Nittos grace the front. Mavic kit keeps the gears moving, an Answer Rocker seatpost was polished up to look like ancient campag, grafton levers were shined. Add a smattering of gold (american classic skewers, gold chain, cables and bolts and, of course a brass tingy bell)

Now before you see the photos I must say that this is retro in the truest sense of the word (ie pertaining to the past), I have got new kit on here where I saw fit like the Pauls neo-retros (find me decent Mafacs, they all look tatty to me) and not much of the kit is 'period correct' for the 1989 Roberts. But it was all about getting the look right, this is a real Retrobike bike and not one for MTBR!!

yti0b4.jpg

yti0b7.jpg

Swoopy Nittos, Graftons and Mavic held in place by a super steep Salsa stem:

yti0bd.jpg

NOS cooks a plenty:

yti0bc.jpg

Original Pace forks, now with chromed dropouts and a thick coat of BRG (note period decal to match Gil_m's ones):

yti0bb.jpg

Hand polished answer rocker post with Brooks Swift (what else):

yti0be.jpg

and lots of chrome dropouts:

yti0b8.jpg

yti0ba.jpg

Cork grips, chrome cable rub plates, mavic headset:

yti0b9.jpg

Just need the wicker basket and all be off to solve murders in sleepy english villages with Mrs Marple!

Pure Genius.....very cool :D

What on earth is the angle on that stem though? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Reading the description I must confess to feeling a little unsure about what the end product was going to be like but I should have kept the faith because it is absolutely stunning, you must be really pleased with it (and when are you going to rag it offroad, you must be tempted surely?).

The stem was originally designed for WTB drop bars and the likes. It's a P series moto with a 53ø rise to it!

I have had it off road (gently!) today and it is great, very upright, very stable - you can see everything coming and makes for a real sightseeing off road ride. It's probably not going to see masses of off roading as I now have the Fat Ti, the Seven and now the Manitou, but whenever the girlfriend wants to take her retro turner out this one will be coming with me!

sweet!

what a pub bike, Pete, pure unadulterated eccentricity, makes me proud to be British :)

Oh and the hub cleaners were Schwinn ones I found in a dusty shop in Philly when I was living out there, just been waiting for the right build (like so much on this bike!)

I've even got a set of Green duck canvas Carradice bags for this to store sandwiches, flask and a pacamac for that true british sunday ride!

Roly, I thought you'd love this!!

Details of the decals:

yrz9g6.jpg

yrz9gu.jpg

Back