Turbo trainer suggestions.

mtbdave

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi guys,
Am in need of a bit of help/advice I have never owned/used a turbo trainer
So I would like a few suggestions from you guys that have!

Ideally easy to assemble,set up have a digital speedo mileage counter etc.
And also an idea of how much they are.

I thought as the nights are drawing in it's the safest option than being on the roads!!

I have a Tacx one, similar to this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-sirius...ontent=Tacx-Tacx_Sirius_Folding_Cycle_Trainer

It's just a straight forward trainer, but you can alter the resistance. There's no speedo, cadence meter etc., but you can fit a cycle computer to the bike. Obviously, the cycle computer needs to be one that runs from the rear wheel, I have one of these, that also has a cadence reading: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28224

You might also want a turbo trainer specific tyre, quieter and longer lasting than am ordinary slick tyre, I have one fitted on a cheap rear wheel with a straight 9 road cassette and the special quick release skewer for the trainer. Also, a pedestal fan to blow cool air at you while training, because you will sweat a lot while training, even with a fan. And a couple of old towels, one under the bike and one over the handle bars/top tube to catch the sweat - you really do sweat that much. :?

Kinetic by Kurt....

Rock n Roll - just started using one as a demo in the shop and really impressed with it. It's nice and quiet - and with no-quibble lifetime guarantee.

Most trainers you can sit on for about 20 mins till your front bum goes numb. The Rock n Roll behaves like a normal bike.

Pricy at about £400 plus the options - but better spend the money on something you can actually use.

I've had high end Tacx and Elite video trainers to stop me getting bored but end up with the numb nuts problem.

xerxes":2nhna1m1 said:
You might also want a turbo trainer specific tyre, quieter and longer lasting than am ordinary slick tyre, I have one fitted on a cheap rear wheel with a straight 9 road cassette and the special quick release skewer for the trainer. Also, a pedestal fan to blow cool air at you while training, because you will sweat a lot while training, even with a fan. And a couple of old towels, one under the bike and one over the handle bars/top tube to catch the sweat - you really do sweat that much. :?

+1 -- Really good advice here. I have taken up turbo training this winter in addition to my commuting run, in an effort to return to some decent level of fitness.

I managed to get a good second-hand deal on a turbo trainer (Elite model) and front block (CycleOps). Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for anything turning up locally, or within a reasonable distance -- reason being that these are fairly hefty, awkward items to pack and quite a number of sellers will want them collected, potentially ruling out a number of the competition and (hopefully) leaving you with a good deal ;).

I have added turbotrainer to my fav's on eBay,and I will put a ad on the wanted section,
I may also place one in the Roadie section too might open up option a bit?

Thanks for the info guys so far really appreciate it!

Put £200* in the loft to gather dust, you'll get the same end result but at least in a year's time you've still got £200 ;)

*insert actual price of turbo trainer here

Yes, I'm partially joking. But only partially. You need a particular mindset to really take advantage of a turbo, and I don't have it ;)

When I dislocated my shoulder, I quite enjoyed my turbo trainer sessions, and got a lot out of them.

Now the evenings are dark and wet, my son has pinched it back and I'm considering buying my own.

I'm one of 'them' aren't I? :oops:

MikeD":2yxcrrws said:
Put £200* in the loft to gather dust, you'll get the same end result but at least in a year's time you've still got £200 ;)

You really need to put the cash in an awkward-shaped box that you'll keep tripping over to get the authentic experience :x

I've just got some rollers and they seem quieter than a turbo, (once you factor out the terrible rattle that, now I have done some belated research seems to be endemic with Tacx rollers).

Get a cheap rear wheel mounted computer. Try to find one that does cadence as well; anything to lower boredom, (unless you're NeilM). A heart rate monitor is good as well. I had a Polar one that downloaded. I used to try and get the graph line to look like my favourite mountain profiles. Did I mention boredom can be an issue?

Take heed of getting a turbo tyre. I totally melted the running tread from the carcass of the tyre. The sudden stop helped relieve the boredom for a while at least. Best keep a turbo specific road bike for it.

Back