hi eveyone steven from wakefield

wontchuckanut

Retrobike Rider
hi everyone, iv always been into bikes, bmx first then progressed onto mtb in around 1991, my first mtb was a alpinestar cromega, then a univeaga, im from wakefield and back in the early 90s it had a decent bikeshop called cycle world where you could but lighter parts, i was out most days after school and was very fit, my brother worked at halfords as a bike mechanic and i soon learnt all his knowledge on service and repairs, then i turned 17 and passed my driving test bikes seemed inferior to my nova sr and it was sold, years passed and in 2010 bought a carrera from halfords, i had 6 month and sold it, i just did not like the bike, now im a pretty nostalgic person so im always looking on ebay at cars iv had and bikes, so while browsing ebay one night i saw a marin bear valley that i liked the look of and decided to bid on it, anyway i won it and it was about 40 miles away from me in york, the description sounded like the guy selling it did not know much about it and the picture was crap, anyway i got a one way ticket to york and took a spare tube and a few tools and some wd40 with me,i knocked on the door and the guy took me round the back to a shed where the bike had not moved for 17 years, both tyres flat and rusty chain, the guy said wheres your car, i said iv come on the train and im riding back, he said your joking right! i said no im not and got my pump out and pumped both tyres up which stayed up, sprayed the chain jumped on the bike and road it 40 miles home, i changed the stem as it was as long as my arm and stretched me had to put a v brake on the front untill the cable hanger comes for the headset ,the bike is a large frame which is what i prefer for a comfy riding postion the saddle being of similar height to the bars, cant do with a seat post that looks like a shopping trolley handle sticking out of the bike 2 foot higher than the stem, its unpractical for long rides and looks stupid, your nearly going over the handlebars as soon as you saddle up!, anyway my bike will be used i dont want a showbike i want a bike to use, and im looking forward to getting out with more people on good old steel beasts.
steve from wakefield.

Hi Steve

Great story ! And well done on the purchase.

You seem to be one can short of a six pack so you'll fit in here perfectly :)

Great to see another member enjoying old bikes again.

Keep an eye on this section of the forum as there are more people in our area willing to get together for rides etc.

Keep it up !

Trebz

Is that the bike, I assume, you put on the wiki. With a Marin you should have a chat to marc2tone and you'll not be too far from some of the riders on here like slmracing.

Nova's I dunno what is it with them ...

hi steven. sounds like a mid 90's marin then?

we all seem to have a steel bike, it's the law ;)

keep an eye on calendar for organised rides for this year and in to 2013. looks like you will be in a good catchment area for rides in west and south yorks.

i would like to know which route you took from york to wakey. as. it may reveal some off-road stuff to explore.

cheers.

Back