Shimano 600 ax - ooooh i love them

used to love the one key release function on the shimano cranks at that time. just a 6mm allen key, no chainset extractor needed

it's weird seeing the 600AX cranks on anything other than a raleigh road ace!! does anyone know if that or dura ace ax was put on any other production bikes of that era?

craig

that's an amazing bike and have to confess of never hearing of this manufacturer until now - japanese, i take it? where on earth did you find it?!

:cool:

It was in the metal recycling skip at Cruachan pumped storage power station.
on the shore of Loch Awe in Argyll, 1 km from my secret underground lab.

I trawled the web for info, these were made in Japan just before the MTB explosion in the early 80s. I think most went to the states , badged as Lotus.

Several firms used the Tange aero tubing to construct bikes, Miyata, Lotus and others, most used the Shimano Ax stuff, my bike isnt the top of the range "team " model and is not double butted tubing, but to my eyes it is very well made, no dings and straight and true. Weighs about 23 lbs.

This replaces my old BSA tour de France which my son has adopted, and feels like it is from another planet.

it looks like it's from another planet too!

what a brilliant find - i wonder where the original owner found a bike like that? i'm thinking he must have brought it back from japan with him - i've never seen that make in the uk in my many years in the bike trade.

nice find!

:cool:

Back