1991 Koga-Miyata TerraRunner

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
This Sunday I purchased a 1991 Koga-Miyata TerraRunner mountainbike. I travelled 150km per train and rode the bike back home. It performed flawlessly. I've climbed the Van Brienenoordbrug and I went through the Kralingsebos in Rotterdam. The Kralingsebos was very crowded with families on the beautifull autumn day. People queuing in front of the 'patatkraam' and the 'pannekoekenhuis' faced possibly the best day of the year. No trace of economic downturn could be seen.

Miyata used their own oversized Hardtlite FM-1 Spiral Spline tubing for this frame. The oversized dimension of the tubing was new for 1991. Other modifications to the frame compared to the 1990 TerraRunner included:
- toptube cable routing
- 1-1/8" headtube
- 29.6mm seatpost (was 26.8mm)
- new geometry

Interesting is the generous number of braze ons: there is a fitting for a race number(!), but the frame is also ready for heavy duty trekking (fittings for rack, low rider, 3 cages etc). The frame is finished in gloss black with a blue-gold graffiti spray. Similar could be seen on Koga FullPro and Miyata 916 of the same era.

The bike is undergoing an overhaul atm. The bike was acquired in full original spec and with hardly a sign of use. Koga selected only quality parts for this TerraRunner, but I decided to put focus a bit more on weight saving. The diet will consist of parts like Onza Chill Pills, USE handlebars and Ringle Ti-Stix skewers. NOS parts, so conditionwise in line with the rest of the bike.

8186889484_ddf8ed01dc_b.jpg

The paintscheme is the same as on the 1991 Koga FullPro and 1992 Miyata 916.

Tioga T-bone Prestige stem holding USE bars >>>

8186886802_9eb27d25c5_z.jpg

I already were happy owner of the Carbolite issue of the 1991 TerraRunner >>>

85611656_2f95d6629f_b.jpg

Ah yes, this one stuck around on marktplaats for weeks as "reserved" - very frustrating! Looks like it's in amazing condition, even had the original pump & bidon if I recall. Love the details on the paint job.

I ended up getting a '90 terra runner for my trekking plans (see this thread), but the lowrider mounts, OS tubing, & top-pull front derailleur on the 91 model make it even better suited. Maybe the best mtb ever for a touring conversion.

Elev12k":3ioysqfj said:
This Sunday I purchased a 1991 Koga-Miyata TerraRunner mountainbike...
nice TerraRunner :cool: and it's almost done ...looking forward to that.

And where is your Carbolite now?

bhumidravi":2eo00h07 said:
Ah yes, this one stuck around on marktplaats for weeks as "reserved" - very frustrating! Looks like it's in amazing condition, even had the original pump & bidon if I recall. Love the details on the paint job.

That's the one! Yes, with original Koga-Silca pump and two Cobra bottles. The 2nd cage/bottle sat fitted under the downtube. Yes, pretty amazing condition. I think the bike covered more km's on Sunday than in the 21 years before :roll:

I ended up getting a '90 terra runner for my trekking plans (see this thread), but the lowrider mounts, OS tubing, & top-pull front derailleur on the 91 model make it even better suited. Maybe the best mtb ever for a touring conversion.

The 1990 TerraRunner is very nice too. The 1991 model is possibly the ultimate frame for heavy duty touring. The frames of the 91-93MY ForeRunner/ValleyRunner share the same features!

Nader":2u8tx5tq said:
Elev12k":2u8tx5tq said:
This Sunday I purchased a 1991 Koga-Miyata TerraRunner mountainbike...
nice TerraRunner :cool: and it's almost done ...looking forward to that.

And where is your Carbolite now?

Thx :) I do still have the Carbolite.

I do love these Koga-Miyatas. I would love to own one some day but they're rather difficult to come by on these shores.

Elev12k, I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through some of your build threads, such wonderful bikes. This Terrarunner is no exception! I look forward to seeing your plans for this build.

On this TerraRunner I would absolutely use silver deore dx crank with silver seatpost :cool:

RustyGold":17edybzk said:
I do love these Koga-Miyatas. I would love to own one some day but they're rather difficult to come by on these shores.

Elev12k, I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through some of your build threads, such wonderful bikes. This Terrarunner is no exception! I look forward to seeing your plans for this build.

Thanks

The plans will be that I use a substantial amount of the original parts, but with a couple trick light weight modifications.

Original specs:

91TerraRunnerSpecs.jpg

The sheet mentions that touch up paint is included. That was actually the only thing that wasn't there anymore, but after 21 years wouldn't have expected much from paint anyway.

Back