Raleigh Banana Restoration Project Help

If it's a screw-on freewheel it will be 126mm; even if 130mm the dropouts can take it no problem.

I know it's all a matter of personal taste, but those wheels would be completely out of place on a bike of this period: deep section rims and those decals would be wrong, wrong, wrong!

Yellow tyres on a yellow bike? A bit "mother of the bride"?

If you want a cheap pair of wheels that don't offend the eye, try these, there's plenty of choice.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Unindexed downtube shifters will work in any set-up: they're just a lever pulling a cable.

If indexed, then you would want to match them with the freewheel, ie 7 speed shifters with a 7 speed freewheel.

There are these from Spa Cycles or just type "downtube shifter" into Ebay.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yup, that will all work and you won't need new derailleurs.

Please note the wheels have solid axles rather than quick release skewers, if that's important to you: I suppose it depends on whether you plan on getting punctures or not!

I noticed they didn't have qr's but I presume that I could them in the future.

I now require a crank puller to strip the bottom bracket, any ideas on what would be suitable or should I go to my LBS?

Thanks

my local bike shop charged me £20 labour to fit a new bottom bracket on the raleigh kelloggs (they replaced the old unit with the modern cartridge type, which are sealed, the part was about £25), and the labour charge included fitting a new chain (which i supplied) and he had to drill out the rivetted gear cable router off the bottom of the frame to get access.

it sounded like a fiddley job which i didnt want to tackle for the sake of paying £20 labour lol

if i were you i would get wheels with proper QR hubs. on the skinny wheels you will get regular punctures (even with puncture protection tyres). i think you would need to strip the hubs off the spokes to change to QR hubs on those wheels on ebay?

you cant really go wrong with Weinman XR18's, they are very strong, look cool, the CNC machined rim edges make your brakes 3 times better, are not too heavy (965g front, 1148g rear including QR skewers). Parkers of Bolton sell them for £30 each.

ok they arent true retro styling but the aero profile is quite slim. i've been using them on one of my bikes for a few hundred miles in the last few months and they will take some abuse, and they make for a beautiful smooth ride without breaking the bank.

I'm Ashford Tel, you?

Percy you must be on comission for the the Weinman XR18's! :D

I would love them but this is meant to be a budget rebuild, I suppose the old saying buy nice or buy twice might apply but I need to keep the build to under £100 really. As I would like to start looking at building a single speed as well.

Maybe I'll have an ask around and see if Father Christmas has any Weinman XR18's in stock at the moment, because at this rate I can see it being Christmas before I ride the damn thing!

You sure? Would have thought it'd be 126mm.

I'm on Sheppey, not a million miles away. If you find yourself over this way feel free to pop in.

Back