Raleigh kelloggs (reynolds 501) loose crank

Percybigun

Old School Hero
I've checked the crank bolts and they are tight, but the whole crank is very loose. Its cotterless. What do i need to do/replace, and what parts will fit?

Riding with a loose crank destroys the tapers. You need a new crank. A quick trip to your local bike shop might get you a freebie one from the mechanics' scrap pile.

If the whole crank, both sides, is loose, then it sounds like the bottom bracket needs some attention.

You could strip it and check for damage, but it might just be quicker and easier to replace the whole BB with a new cartridge type.

First you need to wobble the end of the crank arm holding it by the pedal, and look to see where the play is. If the crank axle is moving then you need to strip, clean, re-grease and adjust the bearings until there's no movement, if its a sealed cartridge you'll need to replace it with a new cartridge. Measure the old cartridge to make sure you get the right width as a replacement. Its possible, but less likely the play is between the crank arm and the axle. If it is, then the taper's are worn on your chainset. The axle is steel, the chainset is alloy so the taper of the alloy chainset wears first. If that's the case you'll need to replace the chainset.

I got the LBS to fit a new bottom bracket with the modern cartridge, and got a new chain on while it was there.

I'd already fitted new shifter cables and adjusted the mechs etc, and had a new cassette/freewheel, so now it rides better & smoother than it did when it was new, 20 odd years ago! I'm glad the chainset & cranks were ok, they are mint and look pretty cool. Luckily i'd noticed the sloppyness and hadn't ridden it whilst it was slack.

Back