Modern Crap

highlandsflyer":2cox1ttv said:
Russell":2cox1ttv said:
The only kit I've ever had fail on me has been due to crash damage, poor spanner work on my behalf, or plain old bad luck (bits of tree through rear mechs or rocks hitting the chainset and breaking the chain, that kind of thing).

You have been a very lucky rider.

Never had a dropout fail?

Nothing at all?

Incredible really.

I'm truly blessed.

You can literally bend some alloy chainrings with your fingers.

At the rear, most old 5/6/7 speed sprockets are totally resistant to any kind of torque you can muster, cross chained or not, and usually succumb to gradual wear rather than failing drastically.

There is some truth to the suggestion modern stuff fails when badly adjusted, which at 10/11 speeds is much more likely.

drcarlos":67rbslsd said:
Transmission aren't what they were. I never get problems from my 3x7 Shimano kit and only have to tweak the adjusters on the Suntour stuff. However the modern stuff on my Kula is junk. The original Deore cassette wore out in less than 300 miles causing a chain to snap but I thought it was just the chain so I replaced that, then it started jumping so I replaced the cassette. Having read that Shimano stuff was now junk I went with SRAM and everyone seemed to rave about the PC980 (saying that if it was on sale and only a few pounds more than the 970 buy it) so I found one at a good price and bought it.
2 months, 3 rides and 35 miles later and this is it:

IMG_20121111_095354_1041.jpg

It decided to collapse on an upshift on the way out of the carpark in Peaslake this morning, I spent 4 miles trying to work out what was wrong with the gears and why they had a mind of their own, when we spotted that we were on our way back to do a loop on the other side of the hill but I cut it short.

I don't ride hard only for leisure and the 7's kit I have lasts ages, but this stuff is junk, this should have been nearly £80. Hopefully PlanetX will exchange it for another but I am not sure I'd have much faith in it.

So much for progress. Also had a BB cease on me on this bike and these are nearly as crap as the cup and cone ones we used to have, gone backwards there too.

Carl.
Is this pic representative of the way you treat your bikes? You have bits and pieces all over the shop...

suburbanreuben":w91flxll said:
drcarlos":w91flxll said:
Transmission aren't what they were. I never get problems from my 3x7 Shimano kit and only have to tweak the adjusters on the Suntour stuff. However the modern stuff on my Kula is junk. The original Deore cassette wore out in less than 300 miles causing a chain to snap but I thought it was just the chain so I replaced that, then it started jumping so I replaced the cassette. Having read that Shimano stuff was now junk I went with SRAM and everyone seemed to rave about the PC980 (saying that if it was on sale and only a few pounds more than the 970 buy it) so I found one at a good price and bought it.

It decided to collapse on an upshift on the way out of the carpark in Peaslake this morning, I spent 4 miles trying to work out what was wrong with the gears and why they had a mind of their own, when we spotted that we were on our way back to do a loop on the other side of the hill but I cut it short.

I don't ride hard only for leisure and the 7's kit I have lasts ages, but this stuff is junk, this should have been nearly £80. Hopefully PlanetX will exchange it for another but I am not sure I'd have much faith in it.

So much for progress. Also had a BB cease on me on this bike and these are nearly as crap as the cup and cone ones we used to have, gone backwards there too.

Carl.
Is this pic representative of the way you treat your bikes? You have bits and pieces all over the shop...

Not at all, that was taken in the car park when I took the rear wheel off to put it in the car (frame is already in the boot and you can even see my boot catch through the spokes)!
Bikes are all wall hung in the garage on proper hooks and D locked to the wall.
On a side note my first contact mail seems to have been ignored by the suppliers and second one has now gone. They are a large place with a facebook page so ignoring mail is not a good thing to do.

Carl.

suburbanreuben":15q16do3 said:
drcarlos":15q16do3 said:

Carl.

I know godammit..this is retro bike!!! all we do is look at shinee stuff and not ride it you crazy fool :LOL:

sylus":xupyq6s0 said:
suburbanreuben":xupyq6s0 said:
drcarlos":xupyq6s0 said:

Carl.

I know godammit..this is retro bike!!! all we do is look at shinee stuff and not ride it you crazy fool :LOL:
An antidote to all those poncey "Builds" that seem to be taking over from proper bikes.

Back