A Complaint!

I had a carbon USE Alien on my Proflex and those stupid little bolts kept giving me trouble. I got a pair of long allen headed 5 mm bolts and drilled and tapped new threads into the 3 stupid fiddly bits and never had trouble again. Pain in the ass those things.
Mind you the old 25mm USE post can be a pisser to sort out, was out in the garden this afternoon with freezing hands trying to change the saddle over. The front bolt is always at a bloody funny angle to the post which makes it impossible to get a multitool in to tighten it properly. Got pissed off in the end and brought it into the kitchen to do.

S

USE rubbish

Mine is currently in the shed after going at it with a hack saw to remove it from my saddle. Those bolts are the worst! Rounded them off pretty easily after much effort and many different allen keys trying not to :x

I've never had any problems with them. Old or new. I must be the only person :shock:

tintin40":2p4650ne said:
I've never had any problems with them. Old or new. I must be the only person :shock:

Me either, i've had the old 25mm one on loads of bikes and have their newest Alien Cyclops on my Lobster. Never tried the old 2 bolt Alien though.

Russell":3gb4r9ak said:
It is a stupid design thats prone to failure but they are light and look pretty.

A pithy description of the golden age of mountain biking

got 2, one on the Pace t'other on the Cougar. Excellent bits of kit.

Really helps if you read the manual to be honest. They need to be done up tight (1 1/2 threads sticking out at the front IIRC), Zip ties help positioning prior to bolting together. Yes the bolts are made of cheese and the heads round really easily, but USE have always sent free replacements. This was why they changed them to the cyclops fitting.

If you don't want them anymore feel free to pop them in the post & I'll rehome them for you.

Once you get it where you want it then the seat to seatpost position has given me no bother, but, its a right bother to get it to that point in the first place !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sold mine on, could not be bothered to remove the old saddle so sold that as well, I'll stick to single bolt kalloy seatposts, never had an iota of trouble from them.

I have single and twin bolt USE posts and even with my ever-present lardiness I've had no problems...

...there is a knack to setting them up but once you get the hang of it they're fine :cool:

Back