Specialized Allez 2006 Upgrade - Some General Questions

cjrretro

Retro Newbie
Chaps, looking at converting my current winter bike (Specialized Allez 2006 Double) into a Cyclocross, are 28mm width tyres as wide as I can go? I know a daft question but I'd have to buy the tyres and if they do not fit a major PITA. Wheelset is Fulcrum 5s.

Also changing out the high geared Sora Cranks to a 2300 Compact (cannot fit a Tiagra compact due to headset), been advised my current 12/25 cassette cannot be changed due to Sora headset. Any idiots guides to gear ratios I can read online? I noticed a review in this months Cycling PLus of some £600 bike, they mention a 2300 Crank / Sram 11/28?

Have gradually been upgrading this old lovely bike 10 Kg came with carbon forks/seatpost, Tiagra mechs added. Wheels. Selle Italia saddle.

Err lastly hope that this is in the correct section, if not can a moderator move it.

Love this old bike have had it from new in 2006. But after purchasing a Di2 Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 I realise how heavy the gearing has been .... always put up with it.....Thanks in advance for any views.

You might get more help in the Retro Classic Road forum. 28mm tyres might be as wide as you could go in a road frame, hard to know without trying. Have you not got a decent local bike shop that can give you some advice.

Also not really sure how the headset (the part that connects the forks to the frame) has anything to do with gear ratios and cranks. Many Shimano parts are interchangeable but it sounds like you need to find a good shop who know what they are talking about to help you out.

The problem you'll have with fitting 28c tyres will be how tight all the clearances will become so when you take it through the muddy trails your frame will get all clogged up and take the fun out of your ride.

Give us a picture of your bike so we can see the spec and we'll be able to advise on upgrades etc.

But I'll reiterate my first point for some off road fun you'd be better of buying a cx frame and transferring all your components over.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers lads...bike is booked into my local ECB later in month. Fitting a Shimano 2300 compact and new BB. Cheap <£100 upgrades, I will be asking about 8 ring cassettes I can upgrade to. I was told Sora headset limits my choices, bike is 16 speed. I will ask about fitting an SRAM 11/28 onto the rear.

Thanks for other comments appreciated.

cjrretro":1eed185v said:
Cheers lads....

...but I chose to ignore your advice :roll:

Whats you local EBC?

By headset you mean shifters don't you? I don't mean this offensively in anyway but is English your first language?

Not ignoring advice Tel :? , local branch of EBC is Aberdeen....bought the Allez 16 speed from them in 2006, I am calling the head set the shifters I apologise..was told over the phone that my current Sorta shifters limit what I can do ie like fitting Tiagra 9-10 speed compact crank and rear cassette choice - hence 2300. I dont want to change the shifters....so fitting a cheapo compact crank is a cost effective way to do it.

I really struggle with this bike on the hills, as is evident with a compact gearing of my new focus, Also hear you on the 28mm wheels and build up of crud.....really only wanting to take this bike on towpaths/forest tracks etc.

Hope my post was erudite enough to pass muster.

Tel":3hcnqtjz said:
cjrretro":3hcnqtjz said:
Cheers lads....

...but I chose to ignore your advice :roll:

Whats you local EBC?

By headset you mean shifters don't you? I don't mean this offensively in anyway but is English your first language?

I think the man means Edinburgh Bicycle Company - not available in the saarf (yet).

I must admit I was getting confused how a headset limits your choice of cranks but I thought I was just being a bit thick.

Back OT one of the big problems you make get as well as the frame clearance is that you'll be running caliper as opposed to cantilever brakes which will clog up even quicker than your frame.

BTW you should be able to run a 9 speed chainset with an eight speed cassette. Doing it the other way around is where you'll have issues due to the chain width.

I'd definitely get a CX specific frame & fork with clearance for canti brakes and ~32mm tyres... you may be only doing very light trails but they will be very muddy over the next few months. As well as Milnes have a look at On-One / Planet X... maybe Ribble? Loads more out there too. I don't think you'd have much trouble selling on the Allez frame, I don't think it's right for the job TBH and if you do get a CX frame to hang the parts off it would give you a more versatile and slower handling bike for use on light tours and heavy winter use, subject to perhaps the merest mods (ie switching tyres, fitting a rack & guards)

Back