Stuck quill stem - freed thanks to grilla

Guitar106Music

Dirt Disciple
I'm stripping down a Brian Rourke I've had for a few months, and I've been given alot of great advice from the website, which is very much appreciated.

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas on removing a stuck stem. The thing does not want to budge. I've losened the bolt on the top, and given it a whack to knock it free, so it seems that the wedge thing is free, but the stem itself won't move up, down or twist at all. I've dropped some oil in from the top and from the bottom of the forks, and loosened off the locknut on the headset a little bit.

Any tips, tricks or ideas? Cheers Stu

3 in 1 oil or plus gas libberally applied to the stuck stem and leave. Try the following day to free it. If its still stuck apply some more and leave for a bit and have another go at freeing it. It will budge eventuually.

Worst comes to worst, turn the bike upside down,stick the stem in a vice and twist the frame free, by using a length of timber between the forks for leverage - obviously having removed the wheel! The stem will end up pretty knackered but if it's a steel frame the forks and frame itself will be fine, even if it makes a god-awful noise whilst you're doing it... I promise. Just make sure to wrap the timber so as to not damage the fork paintwork, and use a spare hub and skewer clamped in the fork dropouts to keep them spread as they should be.

advice

Thanks for the advice guys. I've moved the locknut from the headset up and see the top of the fork, and have been applying plenty of oil. I'll do this for a few days and see what happens, if not it may come to the vice and timber option :eek:

Still not moving

So it's about 4 days of oil so far, and it still won't budge. Do you think giving the top of the stem a good whack with a big rubber mallet would do any good. I know a wise man once said, before you reach for the hammer, you should step away from the bike. Also I'm worried if I do give it a whack it may damage the forks. I'd like to try and remove it without resorting to clamping things in the vice if possible. Cheers, Stu

I wouldn't have thought so, to be honest. And there's always the risk of missing or hitting the top tube! If you don't mind damaging the stem I'd say go for the vice option. If you want a really detailed description of how I did it then let me know and I can give you pointers!

Re: Still not moving

Guitar106Music":10qbzo0z said:
So it's about 4 days of oil so far, and it still won't budge. Do you think giving the top of the stem a good whack with a big rubber mallet would do any good. I know a wise man once said, before you reach for the hammer, you should step away from the bike. Also I'm worried if I do give it a whack it may damage the forks. I'd like to try and remove it without resorting to clamping things in the vice if possible. Cheers, Stu

You can spend days and weeks trying to release a stuck stem with all kinds of ideas but the only guaranteed way to do it is cut the stem out.

Remove the stem bolt
cut the stem off at about 1 inch above the headset top nut
drop the forks out
secure the forks in a vice
hacksaw down the centre of the stem from the inside of the stem towards the steerer column
hacksaw again at 5mm around from the first cut so that you release a small wedge of stem
clamp the exposed remaining 1 inch of stem in the vice and it should collapse enough to allow it to twist out with a little bit of rotational force applied just under the fork crown, between the blades.
[/list]

I just re-read your original post - you said 'it seems wedge thing is free' - is it definitely free? If not, this may be the problem.

^^ my 2p's worth

Back