Muddy Fox Pathfinder

andyz

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I bought this yesterday as a second chance offer on fleabay, for 30 quid. I was rather pleased with that since its the only genuine bargain I've had for some time!

I thought it was an '89, but looking at some of the brochures show cantis on the rear for '89, but this one has the U-brake. It has been updated many years ago (maybe from new?) with LX M550 front and rear mechs.

Just need to pump the tyres up, and out for a ride today!

Cheers,

Andrew

PS. sorry about the crap pics, if there's any interest I can do some better ones.

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJGYE9nooh8IoBQlsyMfODQ~~60_58.JPG
    $T2eC16RHJGYE9nooh8IoBQlsyMfODQ~~60_58.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 953
  • $(KGrHqF,!rUFCNyP+!csBQlsyPwYG!~~60_58.JPG
    $(KGrHqF,!rUFCNyP+!csBQlsyPwYG!~~60_58.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 954
Hi, nice bike. best year for muddy fox. its defo 1989. although the catalogue has cantis in the pics almost all models also came in u brake also. dont know if it was early models with u brake and later with cantis but would love it if someone on here knew?

My '89 Courier Comp has a U-brake too, despite the catalogues showing cantis. I came to the same conclusion as above that it must be an early model.

Carl.

my best mate had a sorcerer (the blue one) with a rear u brake that year too. only ever seen them in cantis since.
lovely bike. :) sadly stolen by some scrote.

Neil G":35t9pxqg said:
My mate had an 89/90 Pathfinder and it was blue with cantis front and rear.

Neon Blue was an optional colour in 1990 only, you don't see many of those at all, most were purple/gold splatter like mine and the colour carried on until 1991.

Carl.

i was watching that one... good buy for 30 quid.. I got a few 89/90 muddy fox's.. the 89 ones have a mix of u brake or canti on the rear, don't know why..
do you think you'll upgrade the shifters? That's the only bit I wasn't sure about on this model..

mrgumby":1dr70t2d said:
i was watching that one... good buy for 30 quid.. I got a few 89/90 muddy fox's.. the 89 ones have a mix of u brake or canti on the rear, don't know why..
do you think you'll upgrade the shifters? That's the only bit I wasn't sure about on this model..

Yes indeed, the shifters are nasty plastic exage things which will be replaced with Deore thumbies as soon as I have time. I need to replace the 'bars asap as some loon has cut them down to about 50cm!

On the subject of the U-brake - I don't know why either! What was meant to be the advantage of a chainstay U-brake? First time I rode the bike, the brake got totally bunged up with mud & leaves :(

Cheers,
Andrew

Back