Not just for Scotchlanders

Winter camping.
Get back to tent wet, cold, maybe very cold, and hungry.
Miles from anywhere.
Porridge.
OXO cube (chicken or beef, lamb if you're pedantic).
Curry powder.

Life saver.

I give you my word :D

highlandsflyer":isy3ubeq said:
Winter camping. Porridge. 'Nuff said.

Poke a hole in it, pour in some Drambuie.

Dinner is served.

Porridge life.

Just don't fry up a heap of dried up porridge as breakfast.

The set out on an all day hike, generously hydrating.

Ballistic levels of expansion.

:)

everyone knows its called stirabout and was invented in Ireland as was the bag pipes and the kilt

We was raised on the stuff, my dad makes the best stirabout, needs to be boiled as long as possible, healthy dose of salt and made with more water (3/4) than milk. Then left to set and cool, with a wee bit of milk and sugar to serve.

you must also only stir it in a clockwise direction for some reason to do with the devil

Magic stuff so it is, there is no breakfast to beat it, keeps you warm and hunger free all day.

highlandsflyer":11sq5uo5 said:
What is this milk and sugar malarkey?

Pray tell me, who invented the Irish?

Exactly!

not sure who invented the Irish, but i know who invented the Scots ;)
like stirabout, kilts and bagpipes it was the Irish ;)

The Gaels (Irish: Na Gaeil; Scottish Gaelic: Na Gàidheil; Manx: Ny Gaeil), also known as Goidels,[1] are a Celtic people, a subgroup of the Indo-Europeans, the core of whom claim patrilineal descent from the Milesians. The homeland of the Gaels is Ireland in northern Europe, where much of their culture and language developed. During the Early Middle Ages, the Gaelic people spread out into other areas, such as Great Britain (particularly the area known today as the Scottish Highlands) and the Isle of Man. The Gaels took with them their language, which developed into three branches: Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Manx.

The word Gael is applied in two main ways today. As a synonym for people of indigenous Irish[2] origin with Gaelic-derived surnames, many having undergone linguistic Anglicisation since the early modern period. The more exclusive usage is to describe the small communities which continue to use the Gaelic languages in everyday life such as the Gaeltacht and Gàidhealtachd. To further complicate the matter, during the High Middle Ages, a minority of clans with Germanic ancestry, such as some of the Normans in Ireland (the Old English) and the Vikings in the Scottish Highlands (Foreign Gaels such as Clan Donald) became Gaelicised

Back