Cycling Books review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just finished Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage.

The copy I got was a later edition, with some updates, which were well worth reading.

It's not a very jolly book, from the outset it is clear, especially having read David Millars book first, that Kimmage was never going to make it as a professional cyclist, as he just does not have the self belief.

The other thing that's clear is that anyone who has read the book should not be in the least bit surprised by the USADA report this week. The names in the report might be different, but the attitude is the same.

Interesting book.

Just started 'A Race For Madmen'.

Think I may get 'Put Me Back On My Bike' next; anyone read it?

Put me back on my bike is pretty good, I won't do a review as such as I read it ages ago so its not that current in my mind. It certainly put a lot of colour and personality to the person, rather than the black and white story of Simpsons death.

As a kid in a few cycling clubs, there were definately people who held him in very low esteem and were pretty forthright in their views on him - so reading the book gave me another perspective.

p.s. If you liked the Kimmage book, 'Breaking the Chain' by Willy Voet is a view from someone caught bang to rights shipping drugs at the start of the Festina scandal.

claret73":28eiqjdj said:
Currently reading a biography about a local framebuilder (Orbit & Sirius) and road racer in the 50's 'Frank Clements'.

More info on that book would be much appreciated as I'd like to give it a try; I met Frank a couple of times as Dad & I both had frame refurbs done at the Sirius factory near Dudley. Nice bloke and unbelievably helpful - shame the firm has ceased trading.

David

Right! I'm out of cycling books, as I've just finished the excellent A Race For Madmen by Chris Sidwell.

If you are interested in the TdF then this is a really fascinating book, it skips along at a fair old rate, and is not a blow by blow account of every race, but it's full of pretty interesting anecdotes, including snippets of interviews with some of the big names from the last 20 years and in my copy an eerily accurate prediction of the near future of the race and certain riders.

Not sure what next, Put me back on my bike has got to be a candidate, plus a couple of others I need to search out on the bay.

NeilM":1m1rxc3j said:
Right! I'm out of cycling books, as I've just finished the excellent A Race For Madmen by Chris Sidwell.

If you are interested in the TdF then this is a really fascinating book, it skips along at a fair old rate, and is not a blow by blow account of every race, but it's full of pretty interesting anecdotes, including snippets of interviews with some of the big names from the last 20 years and in my copy an eerily accurate prediction of the near future of the race and certain riders.

Not sure what next, Put me back on my bike has got to be a candidate, plus a couple of others I need to search out on the bay.

You read the Death of Marco Pantani yet? Would be happy to swap for A race for madman?

chriscl":315n46y2 said:
"In Pursuit of Stardom: Los Nomades du Velo Anglais" by Tony Hewson.

A really good memoir of the early English 'privateers' who went to France in the 1950s to compete in Road Races over there.

Fascinating and hilarious in parts, possibly one of the best cycling books I've ever read.

I would recommend this book also, I really enjoyed it.

I've just been through Blazing Saddles by Matt Rendell - as the first proper racing book I've read, I was quite impressed. Not much detail - it's very much a book that prompts you to dig further into individual riders' biographies - but as a brief summary of the TdF's history it's not bad at all. I personally never realised how truly ancient the whole 'doping' issue was, although considering how brutal/sadistic the Tour used to be, I can't say I'm surprised.

I've just finished The Death of Marco Pantani.

I must confess that until very recently I had no interest in road riding, so I don't remember Pantani at all, but it's clear from the book that he was quite a phenomenon and he must have added drama to almost every race he entered.

A fascinating, if slightly depressing book, but also illuminating regarding the behind the scenes endeavours of the Italian authorities. Anyone who thinks Lance Armstrong was the first to organise EPO and other drugs needs to read this book!

As for Pantani himself, I think the outcome was possibly the only way for him to find peace. To borrow from a film script 'The light that burns twice as brightly, burns half as long'.

Rest in Peace Marco.

Glad you liked it. I learned a lot about doping reading that book. :shock:

Finished a race for madmen the other day too. Great history of the tour.

I'm onto Flying Scotsman which is Graeme Obree's autobiography. I've seen the film but now to read the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back