Raleigh Rapide 1983 - Project Old-man - epilogue (P6)

Looking Brilliant

Looking Brilliant! so far.
Cant wait to see it all back together, I bet he will be really taken aback with what you've done.

Jamie

Al,

The bits look great, elbow grease mustn't be in short supply! I think i have some worse scratches than you and i am waiting for some items to help me get rid of them.

Keep up the good work,

Richard

p.s. i will try and remember the item for you this week (if you hear nothing email/pm me)

Cheers!

Little bit of polishing this weekend. My Explosif took centre fold with it's completion :cool:

dsc0150ofh.jpg

Lovely brakes:

dsc0152so.jpg

Having a re-think on the headset and skewers and how to preserve them. They are quite tatty so I may end up doing something else with them. What exactly I'm not sure at this stage :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Tel":3r20wbee said:
Coming together very nicely :) Ah the joys of cleaning bikes to within an inch of they're lives, breathing new life back into a tired old machine is so rewarding.

Regarding Gum hoods you could try these modern Cane Creek: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pr-MAFAC-and ... 51a38cfcf7

Or these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Road-Brake-Le ... 337dbc98c0

Or these!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-WEINMANN- ... 484a5f67ba

Many thanks for this, the 2nd set look good and a decent price. I'd love the last pair but the old man isn't worth that much :LOL: ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Update time.

So apart from the wheels, everything has been polished and spruced up as best I can. The frame was T-cut this weekend and buffed and whilst the patina remains the wonderful pearlescent shines through much more than before.

I had some joy with the BB. I released I had a headset spanner that would fit the flat edged side and without much effort I was able to get it off. The lock ring on the other side was very gently removed with my fair hands and a tea towel (!) and the remaining piece could screw out my hand also. After a good clean, degrease then lube, re-assembled it's super, super smooth.

dsc0179co.jpg

dsc0189aa.jpg

The pedal bearings had some similar love shown with the same results.

dsc0154c.jpg

I love the brakes. Now they are assembled wand lubed they work really well. Let's hope the brake blocks are a bit more effective now.

dsc0171m.jpg

Lovely levers.

dsc0173jj.jpg

Just a little bit cleaner than before!

dsc0184ma.jpg

I like how the seat tube neatly slots into the lug :cool:

dsc0181oq.jpg

dsc0182gi.jpg

Fork action.

dsc0183ka.jpg

dsc0185ku.jpg

dsc0187ys.jpg

dsc0188zui.jpg

Some nice frame details including the repair to the centre piece of the R in Raleigh. It came off during it's first clean so I carefully captured it and kept it flat in an envelope. A little super glue and a pair of tweezers did the rest.

On the top tube you can see some of the patina; it's worse the other side but it's not enough to warrent a respray.

She's been put back together (shots to come) minus the wheels which are this weeks job. After that it's the details which leads me onto...

I'd like some good quality skin-wall tyres. I'd also like some fancy black bar tape, maybe with some nice detailing. Finally I'll need cables. What would you recommend?

We're defo on track for Christmas!

Nice! Being super picky I'd like something with a logo that is in line with the overall colour scheme. So the blue logo isn't quite right here.

Latest posts

Back