Creeping Shimano DT front shifter problem...Help!

sawston_vulcan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My front shifter is Shimano RX-100 light action....the problem only occurs using the 'big' chainring....Shimano 52T....teeth are fine

The problem is the shifter itself creeps forward and as a consequence the chain rubs against the front mech...so about every 1/2 mile or less on uneven road surfaces....i have to pull back the shifter to stop the grinding sound.....My LBS cannot understand it.....shifter and front mech have been disassembled and put back together without a cure....The M5 bolt is screwed tightly in place and the gear boss is fine.

Any ideas as to the cause and a possible solution......Do i need to change the shifter?.....Any help will be appreciated.

Probably missing a little nylon washer that is required to keep it tight. IMO you may as well replace it....

Tel":14lr360u said:
Probably missing a little nylon washer that is required to keep it tight. IMO you may as well replace it....

Ahhhhhhh......i didn't notice any washer being present.....because it is the front mech and that is not indexed can i use any front shifter....ie Simplex Retrofriction or Campagnolo?......Thanks Tel.....at least you have given me some explanation....annoying thing bought it on ebay a few months ago...so no comeback now...c'est la vie!

If it is the washer that I am thinking of it is easily lost, of course I could be completely wrong....

Anyway yes any old shifter will do.

Thanks chaps.....it would have to be a very small washer then!

The screw is very tight and yet it creeps forward...so missing washer seems a good explanation of the problem....it is really annoying.....bump and grind has its place but a bicycle is not one of them....least of all mine!!

I have taken a plastic washer from an old Shimano shifter and placed it my front shifter....i will give it a go tomorrow....and report back.

Maybe lack of grease on the cable guide underneath the bb ?

Sheldon brown call it autoshifting .

cchris2lou":318sfin2 said:
Maybe lack of grease on the cable guide underneath the bb ?

Sheldon brown call it autoshifting .

I did that....as SB suggests......i have added the washers and with some jiggling the creep forward 'seems' to have stopped.....but i'll reserve judgement for a few days.....today might been lucky and its back to 'business as usual' tomorrow....we shall see....and hopefully not hear any further grinding noises.

Back