some tv advice needed

Chute55uk

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
hi all, looking to buy a new tv. saw a samsung 51 inch plasma 3d for 579 in currys or the same one without the 3d for 499
i can get either cheaper from amazon (roughly £60 quid cheaper for either models
apparently its samsung series 4 not the more expensive series 5
any good
anything better?
budget is no more than 579 as we are only looking to upsize my 42 inch plasma, not replace a broken one.
wife wants no smaller than 50 inches (greedy cow)
ideas please gents (and alison)
and not bothered about 3d but would be nice to have the option

Be sure about the common problem of 'lip sync'.

The image processors have a busy time populating the increased number of pixels on modern TV,s. In some models the processing is too slow and lags behind the audio component. This results in a very annoying mismatch between speech and lip movement (lip sync). It is terrible on our LG and we now regret having bought it. As far as I am aware all brands are susceptible - my brothers Sony has the same issue.

You need to actually see and hear any individual TV you are interested in, don't just rely on seeing one screen amongst a large bank of in store screens.

Not all 3D tellys are the same. The cheaper ones half the horizontal resolution so the picture is no longer in full 1080 HD. That is why you see demos of 3D tv showing stuff which is mostly vertical images. The more expensive ones use active shutter technology which retains full HD even in 3D.

Proper active shutter HD 3D is amazing!

Plasma is about 3x as expensive to run than LED ,which itself is 2x as expensive as the old CRT[crt is it :?]
More expensive to run and picture quality is less.
Progress eh? :LOL: :roll:

On the note of TV's .Im in the market for a 37"needs freeview HD and must be LED.Was thinking Sony.Anyone any experience of them.Or any other 37" manufacturer?

Big Sony fan here! I have the KLD-46HX923 which was the Sony flagship model until it was withdrawn from sale due to manufacturing faults. I got a good one thank goodness. The model below it is getting rave reviews - 40HX853 - which has just won the What Hi-Fi 2012 awards for best tv.

The thing I love about Sony stuff is the Bravia sync, which allows components to talk to each other and offers smart synchronisation between devices.

dyna-ti":k1lthqbo said:
Plasma is about 3x as expensive to run than LED ,which itself is 2x as expensive as the old CRT[crt is it :?]
More expensive to run and picture quality is less.
Progress eh? :LOL: :roll:

On the note of TV's .Im in the market for a 37"needs freeview HD and must be LED.Was thinking Sony.Anyone any experience of them.Or any other 37" manufacturer?
our 37 led panasonic is fantastic, miles miles better than all the level 5 samsungs I've seen, freeview hd & freesat hd built in, 2x scart, 2x usb, 4x hdmi, and we've plugged in a usb hdd to record onto. Good remote control, can drive the ps3 & dvd player with the tv remote. It's also not black which is nice! TX-L37D28BSA

Back