There's an app for everything...

i'm sure i could find a mate that would run alongside my bike and change gears for me for free.
wouldn't need one of those stupid laptop sized touchscreen phones to use it either. :cool:

I love this quote: "Although the technology won't be in bike shops for a while yet, we can see cyclists eager to eke out extra an extra second or two at competition level tempted by the idea" Yeah... right... can see your average fit and competitve racer relying on this sort of system to gain two seconds over full race distance. More waffley journalism to attempt to justify their jobs as per usual. :)

Also, and not sure about anyone else, but while I'm sure there's an optimium gear mechanically speaking, by which I mean keeping your legs spinning at a particular rate, this won't take in to account either what's going on in your head or what's either a mile up or down the road - both of which are important factors in what you're spinning. As an example, if I know there's a short steep climb coming up I tend to change in to a bigger gear and push for some speed out of the saddle - just to crest it quicker. Last thing I'd want at that point would be my automatic gears to suddenly drop a few, the moment I hit the hill and start slowing down a bit, and leave my legs spinning free.

In MTB terms I have mental imagine of the thing flicking up and down the block as you're spinning up the rear on a paritcularly boggy section and getting slightly confused at the, sometimes, slightly less than flawless gear changes you can get sometimes.

But other than that 100% on my christmas list :shock: :)

Shimano Di2 system is brilliant and it wont be long before xtr goes electric too .

I wonder if it lets you know when its about to shift so you can take the load off the pedals. On long climbs I like to alternate between sitting and spinning in a low gear and standing up pushing a higher gear, does it know that?

"While changing gear on a bicycle is pretty simple, newbie cyclists are often unsure which gear is best for when. Not anymore, though, because a clever app will do everything for you."

Vomit emoticon / drop the bomb / anything with a battery is evil.

Woz":1esg6h6f said:
"While changing gear on a bicycle is pretty simple, newbie cyclists are often unsure which gear is best for when. Not anymore, though, because a clever app will do everything for you."

Dynamo lights for you then :LOL:

JamesM":qz2dkwz1 said:
Woz":qz2dkwz1 said:

Dynamo lights for you then :LOL:

Funny you say that, because I'm seriously leaning that way after a few recent cases of lights failing in these 0 degree temps. Having said that though, I do have an utterly retarded 1999 state of the art Sigma Ellipsoid light which some clueless non-night-time-cycling moron put a silicon chip into it so it wonderfully senses when the output is "too low" and then automatically and completely switches off.

A dim light is better than no light n'est pas?

Woz":yklxxugb said:
A dim light is better than no light n'est pas?

This reminds me-
Last time I ride to work and make sure that I switched rear flashlight to proper mode noticing that batteries are past their best, I rode as lit only to found at the end of ride to work that some vibration or what caused that light to stop working. Once taken apart and put back together that light works again.
Time for new flashlight, I think, as this one, have mind of its own.:roll:

Or, are these dynamohubs reliable? Even when slightly heavier it may be way to go. :?:

Back